1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window Tint

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by FLPRIUSIII, Jan 6, 2011.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, that's a good point. And I have an issue with that as well - but by leaving my rear (hatch) glass lighter than the rest it really makes a huge difference with this problem. I get so much glare with clear glass, that temering the glare a bit more often adds to my real ability to pick things out at night.

I understand your reasoning. Hey... I pull all the little plastic logos off my cars immediately because I hate how they look. For me, tint is a matter of safety, security and practicality. It is REALLY hard to see anything in the back of my car - that includes my daughter and any gear I have back there. That I thing tint *increases* the aesthetics of amost any car is just icing on the cake for me.

2. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I kind of wish I had known a lighter hatch would've worked ok. My tint guy suggested the conventional darkest, dark, light from back to front, probably not realizing the hatch is at such an angle anyway, nobody would be able to tell.

He did steer me away from the 5% though, warning that one of his previous customers almost hit a guy backing up at night.

3. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Took me a while to figure out how well this worked, and man it works great. Somewhat surprised that it isn't more popular. My tint guy says I'm the only one who asks for it, but that he's not suggesting it to others. When I first starting having my cars tinted, I had the back tinted DARKER than everything else. I paid to have it changed to the same... then paid again to have it chaged to a shade lighter. Perfect!

4. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here's what mine looks like. That's "clear" front side windows, 20% on the rear sides and ~30% on the rear hatch.
    [​IMG]

5. unkprius

unkprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The dealer tint on my 2011 is fine on the side windows but back is soo dark it's like nighttime at noon, I skwunch down to look out the lower panel to see out the back. From what I've read (so far) it's possible to get the tint removed without hurting anything and replace it with lighter tint. I may do that in a few weeks if I don't get used to this. And yep works great for headlights behind, no need to flip mirror, one positive.

6. BocaChaser

BocaChaser New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1 person likes this.
  7. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder if tinting a car has a negative effect in the winter.

8. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Backup camera?

9. James4455

James4455 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks everyone for their input on this subject. I am close to having mine tinted, I am going to have a backup camera installed as well do the darkness is not quite as big of a deal. In West Texas tinting is a necessity.