1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window Tinting for Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by kimbert310, Jun 21, 2013.

1. kimbert310

kimbert310 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone! I am beginning my first summer in Los Angeles with my 2012 Prius and MAN IS IT HOT. Like, sweaty 'I am driving a glass house' hot. So I am going to get it tinted! I've done a bunch of research about CA tint laws, different brands, etc. and have narrowed it down to 2 different auto tint businesses (both highly rated Yelp, for what that's worth). One can do a tint with Madico for $155 or 3M Color Stable for $165 -- that's all windows except windshield. The other uses Madico Charcool for $210 or Suntek Carbon for $225. All three tint options are metallic-free (so no possible interference) and kind of the mid-range of quality. From what I've read online, 3M brand seems to be most highly regarded by drivers. Do any of you have any suggestions or opinions?

2. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had mine tinted last month in Garden Grove. $130 for 9 windows. They used Johnson film, looks good, fast and accurate installation.

Magic Window Tint
    714 489 one157
    He's mobile.

3. kimbert310

kimbert310 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for the info! Great price -- I will check them out.

4. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    He's Vietnamese and a little hard to understand but he wields window tint like he's been doing it his whole life.

5. attyjeff

attyjeff Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    3m usually about 160.00 life time warranty for fade and bubble

6. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Find a shop that has a demonstration of 3M Crystalline tint.
    It is incredible how it keeps the heat out without using a dark tint.
    It's an expensive upgrade. I had just the rear and the windshield header done with it and a matching normal tint on the rest.

7. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish I could have CA prices here on the east coast. Mine cost $239 for the Llumar 35%, darkest for my state, with a lifetime warranty. The local 3M shop wanted $399. I believe I have a metallic tint and I have no interference problems for phone calls via Bluetooth. I did see a small road sign for someone doing tints for $99 - didn't even check

8. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Dang, I just called the tint shop that installed my 3M Crystalline to see if the clear version is legal for windshields in my state . It is not.
    But if your state allows it, that would really cool down the biggest solar panel the Prius has,, the windshield.

Yes, Crystalline is an expensive upgrade, but worth it!

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unless your state does yearly inspections where they actually measure tint VLT, you can probably install 3M Crystalline 70 (or Air Blue 80) and get away with it as it's light/clear enough.

10. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see you are in SoCal. I would pay a little more and get ceramic based tint. With the sun hitting the car all the time it makes a big difference. Price is a huge factor, but find a good installer. Otherwise you will have bubbles and lint in the film. I would definitely do the windshield at the the same time. It makes a huge difference. The cheapest seems to be Llumar Air Blue 80. It can be done for about $125-$150 in SoCal.

I have Crystalline 40% on my car and it has a brown hue to it. So, keep that in mind. It is a great performing tint and I was able to get it done for $500 for all 10 windows.

On my other PIP I got Pinnacle F1 35% ceramic tint and that was $390. I was going to go Huper, but the specs were pretty close to it and $150 cheaper.

11. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I do have bi-annual safety inspections. They get you in and out quick, no emission testing.
    They wouldn't see the CR90 version of crystalline.

Only,, they whip out this bigass razor tool to remove the old safety sticker from the inside of the windshield.
    I guess I could arrive there with the sticker already removed, but I'm not sure how to explain that...
    I'm waiting to here back from a 3M installer across the state line to see if they would sell me CR90 for my windshield.

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    CR90 has worse solar heat rejection (18%) than stock windshield, which is already treated to have 55% solar heat reduction in addition to 100% UV cut rate and 80% VLT. The stock windshield isn't the beast you make it out to be.

13. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Wow! I didn't know that. That will save me time and money. Thanks!
    That may explain why I don't feel a big difference between the Crystalline header and the stock windshield glass....
    Where can I find this info on the stock windshield?
    I think I read the Level 5 windshield has some sort of lifetime rain repellent.
    What do you know about the sunroof glass?

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You can find all the specs in 2010 Prius Window Specs | PriusChat The formatting got messed up during PC server migration so attached is an easier to read table.

Also, the rain-repellent glass is found only on the front side windows on the Four and Five.

Attached Files:

15. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the info!
    Wow, I got rain-repellent glass on my front side windows!
    Who knew? And too bad about the low number for the moon roof..

16. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V