1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window tinting percentages...What is best?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by santoro1, Jul 27, 2006.

1. santoro1

santoro1 New Member

I know there have been posts about window tinting. Can people chime in on what % tinting they got AND, most importantly, would they do it differently after seeing how those %'s worked... Please use % of light let thru...for example a 20% window tinting blocks 80% of the light and is darker than a 50% tint....

One example I have heard is someone having the rear hatch tinting at 20% but then had difficulty backing up at night (obviously without using backup camera)... So maybe in that situation the rear hatch should have been 40% and maybe the smaller bottom window left clear... Just an example...Please chime in, since I will be getting my new Prius done this weekend. Thanks as always.

2. n2y2

n2y2 New Member

Here in Nevada, the darkest you can go in the front is 35%, with nothing on the windsheild (would not want tinting there anyway.) I then went with 15% on back. That gives it a good blending effect from the front to back. It takes the bite off of the sun during the day, but I can still see at night.

Had I gone with limo tint on back it would come out looking two-tone; the difference would be too obvious.

I chose not to tint the lower hatch-back window, because it is already smoked. It is a slightly different hue that the film, but it doesn't bother me.

Go with the more expensive film. Called: high-preformance, Type II, bi-metal, or hybrid. It will last longer without fading. Most good shops will offer a lifetime fading warrantee on this stuff.

3. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here in AZ, I think the darkest you can go on the front is 30%. I've got that on my front windows (even the tiny little windows between the door and windshield) and a medium tint, 35%, on the back door windows and rear hatch. A friend told me I could also to the legal tint on the full front windshield, but I wasn't sure how that would work out. I've had a tint "strip" at the top that kind of faded into the clear glass windshield on a car in the past, but wasn't sure about doing the whole windshield.

Anyway, love my tint, made a HUGE difference in internal car temperature on those 115 degree days we've been having here.

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For my tint, I got 30% on the frontmost windows (including the little triangular shaped windows, but not the front windshield) and 20% (the darkest allowed legally in CA) on all the rear windows. There was a darker tint available that they called limo tint, but I felt it was too dark and the 20% was plenty dark for me. I didn't tint the bottom portion of the hatch window though. I've had no problems with visibility at night and/or while backing up since I got the tint. I love how the tint makes looking into the car more difficult from the outside (and prying eyes of passersby), but there's almost no difference when looking out from the inside. It also helps keep out some of the bright southern CA sun.

Here's what my car looks like with the tint:

[​IMG]

5. waddle

waddle Junior Member

That's a great looking Prius. I was thinking about tinting - would you mind saying how much your tint job was? Thanks!

6. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lonny @ Jul 27 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]293440[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! I was quite happy with the results and am very glad I decided to get the windows tinted. It was $170 for all windows except the front windshield and the rear lower hatch window. The detailing shop I had it done at guarantees the tint for the lifetime of the car and if anything should happen to the tint (bubbling, warping, scratches, etc), they will take care of any needed re-tinting at no extra cost to me. :)

For any SoCal locals, the detail shop I went with was Picture Perfect Detailing 2060 E 28th St
    Signal Hill, CA 90755 (562) 988-1777. Last I heard, they were giving some sort of discount to Priuschatters because of all the referrals they've gotten.

7. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Jul 27 2006, 05:40 PM) [snapback]293434[/snapback]</div>
    That looks awesome!! Anyone know what the legal tint is in North Carolina? Or do I trust the local installers to know what can be done? Do you have to be careful about the navigation system or the auto-dimming rear-view mirror?

8. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pirateprius @ Jul 27 2006, 03:43 PM) [snapback]293467[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! I've had no problems with the navigation system or auto-dimming mirror since I got the tint. I think others on here advised against getting a metallic-based tint, as it might interfere with the gps, but I'm not positive that it's a proven fact.

This is all I could pull up in a quick search on tinting laws in NC:
    Link

9. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Jul 27 2006, 07:02 PM) [snapback]293480[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the information and the link. I have bookmarked that and will let my fingers do the walking to find someplace to get the tinting done here.

10. n2y2

n2y2 New Member

Just ask the guys at the shop for a receipt. Then they will make sure that it is legal. All shops will put illegal film on your car if you ask, but they will insist it be under the table if they do. If you get cited for illegally dark tint, then the shop that installed it for you will face large fines.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pirateprius @ Jul 27 2006, 03:43 PM) [snapback]293467[/snapback]</div>

11. esskay

esskay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Jul 27 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]293434[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm... I thought the laws in California were as follows, which means the front windows would have to be 70% to be legal, and the rear windows could in fact be pitch black:

CA Tint Laws

12. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Jul 27 2006, 04:02 PM) [snapback]293480[/snapback]</div>
    It's called a Faraday cage, albeit a weak one.

Good luck to you. You're probably not going to get pulled over, but if you ever get pulled over you could be looking at a fix-it ticket for the 30% on the front sides. I've 60% and that has passed the cop test.

I tinted for reduction of CA's solar heat (which ceramic is great at), while not reducing visibility. Dark tint doesn't block heat, if you ever played with a heat-lamp demo box from your Tinter.

13. esskay

esskay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jul 28 2006, 07:07 AM) [snapback]293775[/snapback]</div>
    The CA law says "Must not be more reflective than a standard window." How does your ceramic tint stand on this issue? Thanks.

14. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n2y2 @ Jul 28 2006, 12:25 AM) [snapback]293647[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the tip. I will definitely do that.

15. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esskay @ Jul 28 2006, 07:41 AM) [snapback]293791[/snapback]</div>
    TintDude lists CA law as no more than 35% "reflective quality". Most of the Hüper Nano-Ceramic averages 10.6%; par for the nano-ceramics.

16. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esskay @ Jul 28 2006, 02:29 AM) [snapback]293694[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, the CHP site says:

Not sure if this is right, but I'd say that you probably want to follow the rules of the people giving the tickets.

17. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tinted 35% all windows, but not the front windshield. It's Llumar tint and has lifetime warranty. I don't like the lighter front and darker back window look. Take a look...

[attachmentid=9042]
    Right after Prius was tinted and still at the shop

[attachmentid=9044]

Attached Files:

18. jweinsto

jweinsto New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(uclabruins @ Jul 28 2006, 05:42 PM) [snapback]294107[/snapback]</div>
    Uclabruins...looks great, where did you get it tinted and how much did they charge?
    Thanks.

19. Tatania

Tatania Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just an FYI to Calif residents. You can only tint your back windows. You are not to tint to your driver/passenger side front windows nor windshield. The places doing the tinting will tell it's ok if it's X%. They are either lying to you or very misinformed.

The worst part is spending the money on it only to have to remove it when you get a ticket. And yes they can/will pull you over for tinted windows particularly if they are extremely dark.

The back windows can be as dark as you like there is no set %.

20. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tatania @ Aug 2 2006, 01:30 PM) [snapback]296515[/snapback]</div>
    Well, yes and no. You can have tint on your front side windows that allows 70% of light through. However, factory tinted glass already blocks 30% of the light, so any additional light blocked by window film would make your windows illegal.

I think that is the law, now to go check my facts...

Ok, direct from the definitive source, the California Vehicle Code 26708.b.11.d.1 (if I did that right, see bottom of page http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm):

The film must have a VLT of at least 88%.
    The film and glass together must have a VLT of at least 70%.

I think the second one is what's most important - no cop is going to peel back the film and go "Aha, thought you were going to get away with 70% film just because your windows are clear!!!"

I believe a lot of cars are already at or near 70% with factory tinted glass on the front side windows, making it illegal to add window tint film to them.