1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window tinting percentages...What is best?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by santoro1, Jul 27, 2006.

1. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    NO WAIT....YOU ARE ALL SCRAMBLING MY BRAINS...

I have--LITERALLY--been getting sunburnt through front and driver's side windows. LITERALLY. I thought auto glass blocked THOSE RAYS? Since I seem to have been misinformed about that, I can't, legally, in CA, get SOMETHING done to these windows so I don't die of skin cancer BEFORE the car's battery croaks??? :eek:

2. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Aug 3 2006, 03:17 AM) [snapback]296849[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, i want to know the legality of tinting in California. I've heard of 'Highschool' Stories of people getting hassled by the cops for illegal window tinting, but i'm not quite sure about that now. I see so many cars with tints some of them look like they're 20% in the front. Personally i'd like to get 50% front and 35% rear. What says everyone?

3. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Jul 27 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]293434[/snapback]</div>
    Your car looks swweeeett.... Sighz i got stuck with a 'Blue' Prius due to my urgency in getting it. Do you think you'll have a problem with CHP? 35% is pretty obvious?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(uclabruins @ Jul 28 2006, 06:42 PM) [snapback]294107[/snapback]</div>

Totally Awesome... Have you ever pulled up to a Squad Car at a stoplight? eh, or worse gotten pulle over?

4. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(stockmarket @ Aug 2 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]296444[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry for the late response. I got it done at Quality Auto Accessories in Glendora, CA (626-335-1160). You can ask for Chris. They charged me $175, but normally $200. I got a better price because I've done my other cars there as well as had them detailed there. They do a great job. You can say Mitch (with the Dark Gray Prius and Black BMW) referred you. I hope they'd give you a better price.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Aug 4 2006, 02:49 PM) [snapback]297905[/snapback]</div>
    Have had my black bmw with the same 35% tint on all windows except for windshield for 5 years and haven't been pulled over (knock on wood) for tint on front windows. The tint is light enough so the police can see inside.

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Aug 4 2006, 02:33 PM) [snapback]297898[/snapback]</div>
    You won't get pulled over for 50% on your front windows. If you get pulled over for another violation the cop may or may not write you up for illegal tint. It's just like front license plates - it's extremely rare that anyone gets pulled over for not having one, but if you get pulled over for another reason, it's not uncommon to get written up for every violation the cop finds. You might get away with 50% on your front sides; if you've got 35% and he notices I'd expect to get written up. I've got 35% on the front side windows of my Acura MDX and my excuse if I ever get pulled over is that the vehicle was tinted in Dallas (which is true, the vehicle is from TX).

Just roll down your window as soon as you get pulled over. The cop is usually coming up from behind and won't have gotten a look at your front window. Unless he sticks his head in your car to compare the light coming through your windshield to that coming in from the front side window, 50% shouldn't look obviously illegal to the cop. As usual, copping an attitude will encourage the cop to write you up for every miniscule violation he can find, while being apologetic and remoreseful may convince him to stop looking for other violations and let you go with just a verbal warning.

6. esskay

esskay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Aug 4 2006, 06:15 PM) [snapback]298016[/snapback]</div>
    I was pulled over once specifically for lack of front plates by a motorcycle cop. He was actually rather apologetic about it (probably felt it a waste of his time & ability as a sworn peace officer to be sitting around ticketing front license plate offenders when he could be doing more productive work), but was given the task because his city had recently installed red light traffic cameras and clearly wanted to make sure they would generate as much revenue as possible.

I've also known of people who parked their cars at short term parking in the Los Angeles airport returning to find front license plate tickets.

7. DSNCB919

DSNCB919 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pirateprius @ Jul 27 2006, 05:43 PM) [snapback]293467[/snapback]</div>

The legal limit in north Carolina is 35% all around BUT you can easily get away wih 20% 15% (and 5-2.5% if your careful) I dont even own a prius I just wanted to inform you. I actually own a 1990 Cadillac Seville and at the moment I have 20% all across getting changed to 15% today actually. Classic Touch in Durham NC on Roxboro rd. is a good one to go to. theres a place in Raliegh called Formula one which is extremely professional and they woulnt do any illegal tint if asked.

8. DSNCB919

DSNCB919 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Aug 2 2006, 07:36 PM) [snapback]296667[/snapback]</div>

70% Dayum Im glad I dont live in CA what the hell is the point of tinting ur windows anyhow! lots of people in NC that have their windows tinted roll wit 20%-2.5% Ive seen several people with 20% on their windsheilds too. I have 20% all across my car (32% legal NC all across) Ive been at lights beside cops drove past cops when they were at lights, they all like to look but they dont care not like Im crusin around a Drug nieghborhood or blastin the hell out my system. that brings me to another point. if your heavily bringing attention to your self aka blastin them subs* your gonna get ur nice person got

9. aponteluis

aponteluis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went with 20% on the rear glass, 35% on all side windows, and 40% on the windshield. Looks very nice!

10. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My tint percentages are perfect. I love it.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow, this is an ancient thread revived...

we put 30% all around on our car. by wisconsin law (state where the car is registered) that's technically illegal, but i have a prescription. we are saving up to put 50% on the windshield, also by prescription. if i don't have my sunglasses, i am stranded on a sunny day.

12. GoEco

GoEco Red Prii Rule

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got a ticket in 2005 on the 405 near LA for my front windows. I don't know the percentages, but my front driver & passenger windows were the lightest and my rear windows two shades darker. I thought it might make it appear less tinted if it was not uniform but apparently not. I was pulled over from the carpool lane b/c the CHP couldn't seen my son in the backseat through my tinted windows. I got the fix-it ticket and paid the fine to not fix it. I knew it was illegal, but I'm hyper-sensitive to light and hoped I would nto get caught. I'd always planned to just immediately roll down both windows in the event of getting pulled over, but I hadn't planned to be pulled over in the middle of a freak spring DOWNPOUR!

Like many PPers said, here in cali you cannot add somethign to the front glass. HOWEVER, with some kind of medical note you can add removeable tinting up there during the day and take it off at night. Gah, imagine how horrible it would look?!

I'm adding tinting to my new prius this week, but likely will only do the rear windows. I hadn't thought about the metal in the tint nor that bottom window, this thread is so informative!

13. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    GAH! (Hey Galaxee! Yup, Sure is an old thread, but I'm glad to see it!)

I FINALLY got tinted in late April or early May, just before I was about to head down to see my family in LA...remembering the last time(s) I drove down I5 and got fried, between the HUGE windshield and the driver's side window.

I don't know what percentages I got...but I am pretty sure that the front is illegal. The guy at the tint shop showed me his daughter's car, which he had just tinted with the same stuff.

Okay, it's not been very long, but I've not (yet) been stopped. If I DO get stopped for it...I will (not quite happily) pay the ticket. Since I did the tint, I have VERY rarely had to use the AC. And, believe me, for me, this is a BIG thing. I've always been sensitive to heat, but now it's combined with hot flashes...NOT FUN! When I DO find it necessary to run the ac, about 75 or thereabouts, with the fan one or two notches above low and with outside air, not recirculate, will take care of it for me...as opposed to LO temp/highest fan/recirc still not making me comfortable.

Not to mention how TOTALLY kewl the tinted black Pri with the sharkfin antenna looks from the outside... B)

14. GoEco

GoEco Red Prii Rule

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Rufaro, is your front as dark as your back?

15. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esskay @ Aug 4 2006, 09:08 PM) [snapback]298110[/snapback]</div>
    I got a no front license plate ticket on my BMW while parked in Hollywood, CA at night (either Friday or Saturday night). It was more expensive than just parking in the lot. I'm sure I wouldn't have gotten the ticket if I parked in the lot. I was happy when I left since parking was free on the street only to find a ticket when I got back.

16. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I always get limo tint all around, even on the driver and passenger sides. Sure it is illegal, but I can't live without it.

17. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GoEco @ Jun 6 2007, 07:32 AM) [snapback]456513[/snapback]</div>
    Nope. The front's lighter, but still illegal in California. Back IS legal level.

18. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

rufaro.... i'm sure this has been asked and answered.... but is that your dog in you avatar?

19. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I recently got 13% on all backs, and 32% on front sides, with just a strip across windshield top. It's great- really keeps cab cooler, and less A/C. I think 35% is max here. I have heard that sheriff occasionally checks tint on windows if it's really dark. They have some kind of a tint meter.

20. GoEco

GoEco Red Prii Rule

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So now my husband is telling me a CHP told him once (after Dh was in a minor hit & run) that in court, regardless of fault the judge would take into consideration that his front windows were tinted and it could be used against him since it's a 'visual obstruction!' In this case it was pointless since it was a hit & run, but now I'm wondering if anyone else has heard something of this?