1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window Tinting prices?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by freshmtt, Jun 9, 2008.

1. scotk

scotk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Here in Denver, I had all my windows (including the small windows but excluding the front windshield) tinted for just under $200 about a year ago.

I went one shade darker then CO law allows, but they didn't care one bit. The place I went to will pretty much do whatever you want, but on the receipt it shows that they tinted according to the state law.

They even asked me if I lived in Aurora (I don't, I live in the city) because they said the cops in Aurora are tough on tint. No problems in Denver, though.

I'm thinking about having the front windshield tinted slightly, just because I think it looks pretty cool :D

2. dkahl

dkahl Band Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just got my tinting done today. I probably could of researched more on the actual type (I did ask three different auto repair guys who all recommended the same place, though, so I trust them). They use the 3M tinting with lifetime warranty. Anyway, last week the quote was $160...today, when I picked it up, it was $150. That's with front sides at 35%, back and back sides at 20%.

I'm not sure I like the two tones on the side, but you can't really tell. The only thing I really noticed was that the window below the spoiler is lighter than the back window now, so that'll take some getting used to. When I asked for 35% all the way around, they suggested I would like it (I figured they were more hip than I am, so I deferred to their suggestion!). They also offered to go 20% all the way around, explaining it would be the same price, cash only and no receipt, including friendly advice about avoiding a ticket when I get stopped by the police.

I told them the legal would be fine.:D

3. Tdoff1

Tdoff1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    VA, all side windows except the windshield (including the small side windows) 50% rear and back, 35% front doors. Paid $200. Lifetime guarantee. Worth EVERY penny. It is a real solar tint that makes a huge difference in the sun. Looks great.

4. Rakimb17

Rakimb17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Spent 200 for all the windows and the front strip.
    Just make sure you get a lifetime warranty. I decent shop will always have some of their work for you to see.

5. CAC

CAC New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What was the friendly advice for avoiding the ticket?

6. klodhopper

klodhopper New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got ours done in Denver yesterday...price was $160 and change. Driver's and passenger door at 35%, and 20% for the rear doors and the rear window. Looks good, and you can't tell the difference between front and back at all by just looking at it.

One plus was that it cooled the car down by about 15-20 degrees and the AC doesn't work as hard.:D

7. johnford

johnford Old Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My wife and I decided to make the leap and do the window tint ourselves. Paid about 70 bucks for the pre-cut film ordered online and got their installation kit also. I found the job to be quite EZ by letting the wife do most of the work. She kept the film very wet and simply slid it into place, then squeegied all the excess water/soap mixture out. She found that a credit card worked best in tight places like the two small windows up front. She is quite pleased with her finished product, and it was very EZ for me!!! Just Google Pre cut window tint for a list of available providers..... jf

8. 08 mag grey

08 mag grey New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Had all the windows tinted except the front by the dealer where I bought the car, No Charge. I checked with the tinting company before taking delivery and the cost would have been $150.00 in Tucson, AZ.

9. combsad7

combsad7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is there a site that reveals the laws on tinting windows. I would love to tint my windows including a "light" tint on the windshield with a dark top. But being in Virginia I know the State Police watch out for tinted windows. I found a site www.tintcenter.com

10. ZippyPri

ZippyPri New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Where did you go in Boston?

11. cramam

cramam New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had tint applied today to all windows except front. 28% all windows. The hatchback is now the same tint as the vertical strip. $185 with lifetime warranty. Dramatic difference in interior temp and light. The air conditioning appeared to run at a much lower level with better cooling at outside temp of 96 degrees. Looks great too.

12. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is PA really only 70%??

13. prius70

prius70 Junior Member

helpful website:

johnsonwindowfilms.com

btw: no tint blocks 100% heat. . .i wish!

reason to go with ceramic at higher cost is less chance of am reception and gps reception loss, etc associated with metalic tint on some cars
    . . .don't know if prius applies?

local shop here will do metallic tint for 140 all windows except front

i did not want to take the chance soo did all my windows at a different shop in ceramic even the front at almost 3 times the cost!!

14. rrobin1057

rrobin1057 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm looking for a good price on window tinting , I want to tint the back doors windows and all windows back to hatch back and top of front window as dark as can be and leave front doors windows alone , I'm looking around some where around in the chicago land area IL

15. jorgeez

jorgeez New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just had mine for $170 bucks, including the windshield, the rear, and all the windows.

16. rrobin1057

rrobin1057 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got quoted for all back doors and windows and top of front winshield for $235.99 / but where did you get a quote at by you was it Rainbow winshield glass ?