1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window tinting (recommended?)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by jediatzinger, May 13, 2014.

1. jediatzinger

jediatzinger New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a headshield that I purchased from the Priuschat/Shop. I like it, but it's big and not easily setup and taken down quickly. It's new so it could be not broken in enough or maybe it's me ;)

Anyways I'm debating getting my windows tinted. I'd make sure to stay legal (%) just to avoid any potential hassle with LE. Do you recommend getting your windows tinted? My car stays out in the sun while I'm in the office all day and it's really hot when I go to leave (I've seen 108 before). I'm thinking tinting would help. I'm also concerned about the sun beating on the softex seats and internals over time...

Is there any issue w/ rear defrosting and window tinting? What about the lower half of the "liftback"...

Thoughts?

2. A617

A617 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I recently did mine, some things to know

Types:
    LOW TIER
    Dyed (cheap, zero to low thermal reflection, can be easy wear down 0% Cell gps block)

Hybrid Metallic (Average price, moderate thermal reflection, slightly impedes cell and GPS reception)

Ceramic (Expansive, high thermal reflection, no interference with cell or gps reception)

Carbon (Very Expansive, very high thermal reflection, no interfere with cell or gps reception, very durable)
    TOP TIER

Darkness:
    The darker the tint the more effective the thermal reflection it is and increased privacy, but it will impede with visibility at night.
    60%-90% Hardly Dark (Most vendors don't have)
    45%-50% Slightly Dark (Some Vendors may not have)
    35%-30% Moderate Dark
    20%-25% Dark
    10-15% Very Dark
    5% Almost nothing Aka Limo tint (Almost all vendors have them)

Rear defroster
    Is dependent on the person/company that applies the product, if they're inexperience they may ruin the rear defroster so find a reputable installer (avoid Best Buy)

Lower Liftback:
    Leave it alone, the tint is somewhere around 35%-40% applying tint on it will further darken it to a point where its useless.

Brand:
    Stick with brand named,
    3M, Llumar, Huper Optik, Solar Guard, Madico, (research them)

DIY:
    Dont even attempt...

Thermal Reflection:
    If your car is sitting in the parking lot your going to be treated with a hot car, however it does help with A/C performance, in cooling faster and maintaining that coolness at lower fan speed, however once that ac is stopped its will get hot but not as fast as a car w/o tint

Me:
    I when with 30% tint matellic Hybrid, by Llumar/FormulaOne, I wanted to go with 35% but they didnt have that type, but so far its great, its been 2 1/2 week, and visibility at night is great. below picture is my prius at 30%

Attached Files:

BluetoothEdsel likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In addition to a good quality tint and heatshield, you might want to get window visors. The front window visors will allow you to leave your windows rolled down about an inch to inch and a half which will allow some of that heat to escape and some cooling wind/breeze in.

Due to the odd shape of the back edge of the rear door windows, the back visors won't let you leave the windows rolled down without risking some rain entering into the car.

trentofdestiny likes this.
  4. pauerbach

pauerbach Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Tread carefully here. Tinted windows turn vehicles into cop magnets.

5. famoussd

famoussd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check out my album. I got 3M Crystalline, 40% sides and rear, 70% windshield. I'm in CA

6. burstaneurysm

burstaneurysm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Only if you're grossly beyond the legal limit. If you're tinted within the law, you're fine.

7. bathala

bathala Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Everyday, I go out on the street, I pray not to get tagged for my tint (I have 35% all around). I try to keep a low profile, drive within speed limit, and follow the traffic rules. IOW, keep the cops' attention away from me. So far, it's working.

knock on wood... :cautious:

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to say, I use to be a big opponent of window tinting. Never thought it was necessary, nor did I think I liked it.
    But then on my Honda Fit, which had short window flip down shades, I got an "eyebrow" strip on the front windshield.

I liked it much more than I thought I would.

Now with this Prius, it seems to of come from the factory with a degree of tinting already in place. It's pretty light, but it's definitely not just clear.

I really like it. I think it does keep the vehicle cooler in the summer. Or perhaps it just makes the interior seem more like a shaded "sanctuary" regardless of the temperature.

Anyway, I've gone from being a strong opponent of window tinting...to being much more supportive of the action.

So I'd say, Go For It.

My only advice and caveat, is try to make sure you are happy with both the product you are having installed, as well as the installer you have chosen to do the installing. And IMO...I would be familiar with your local driving jurisdictions laws in regard to tint levels and IMO it's worth it to just keep it legal.

9. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have been contacting recommended local shops about tint on my Prius. I would really like to go with a ceramic to cut down the heat with a lighter tint (thinking about 40% around) and without interfering with electronics.

Quotes for dyed films (Solar Gard, 3M, FormulaOne, American standard) are all coming in about ~$199.

I can't believe the premium on ceramic but I currently have the following options:
    • Solar Gard Ultra Performance: $399
    • 3M Crystalline: $399
    • Pinnacle: $429
    Is the ceramic worth the $200 premium? Any thoughts on the different brands (assume installer quality is =)?

10. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i have Formula One Pinnacle on my car. 5% on the back windows and hatch and 50% on the front (UT legal). It works good after the AC is on and it cools off but makes no difference on overall heat in the car when parked in the sun all day.
    I went with the Formula One product over the 3M mainly because I have had it on all my cars overs the years and i read MANY MANY articles that say its the best on the market.

11. acceleraptor

acceleraptor Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Man, I can't believe the quotes you're getting for 3M Crystalline. I couldn't get a quote for less than $930 for full coverage here.. o_O

12. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could drive to Ohio and back and have money left over!:LOL:

acceleraptor likes this.
  13. trentofdestiny

trentofdestiny Master Finagler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Johnson films is also another quality brand. You want the tint that looks gray-ish when you look through it. The purple-y stuff is what you want to avoid. You've seen it...on hoopties, with tons of bubbles under it :[

acceleraptor likes this.
  14. Skunkworks

Skunkworks Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's because you are in Milpitas, take a drive to oak town

acceleraptor likes this.
  15. lowbone

lowbone Junior Member

I had 35% on my 2007 and I had to stick my head out the window when negotiating a turn on a dark night. I stayed legal on my 2010 and it seems to block the heat just as well.

16. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Blocking heat is in the Infra red, below visible, heat spectrum. Plastic can absorb transmit or reflect it.

iPhone ?

17. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I always used the tried-and-true Suntek HP Charcoal. Nothing on the windshield, 50% on the front, 30% rears and hatch. I always go to CA Sunscreen in Fremont, CA. Tom and Sidney do good work - period.

18. Jason Nguyen

Jason Nguyen New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I went with llumar ceramic 40% all the way around and llumar airblue 80 on the windshield.

This is how it looks like during the day

Attached Files:

19. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did LLumar Air Blue 80 all around including the full windshield. I like it and would recommend it and will eventually do it to our other car.

$229 for all but windshield, $119 for the windshield.

20. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ouch.. $119 for just the windshield...