1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window tinting

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by glennonrp, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Like I've said before I think your new rims are beautiful! They are real sharp and probably handle great and that is great that you are getting really good mpg's(y)

I speak from experience and I really liked the way my old persona handled but the little rubber lip on the tires are not enough to prevent curb rash on low profile tire/rim combos. I curbed my Persona once and it took a chunk out of the lip and the rim. Also on the blue crush three touring that I was contemplating buying and did an extended test drive on it somehow had curb rash and it was a new car on the lot! Also on my old Mazdaspeed 3 I cracked (repairable) a rim with its low profile wheels and also blew out a wheel on my parents old Buick ultra with its lower profiler tire (unrepairable)...both were due to potholes. So yeah it happens. And no I have never blown out a rim with a non low profile tire/rim combo.

I guess if you are a perfect driver that never hits potholes and never gets a little too close to the curb then it's all a mute point.

And in reference to my other comments they are facts: 17" wheels are more expensive to replace and tires do Cost more. But I'll say again they do handle better, but that's not saying my Three handles bad, quite the contrary I feel it handles really well. Probably has something to do, well a lot to do with the reworked suspension.

Either way let's not derail the Tint thread anymore..:cool::)

Goodnight:sleep:

2. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Again....these are not low profile tires. Our suspension is the same btw. :)

3. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    You would have to have low profile tires to run 17's... As pictured you do. Your tire is lower profile than what my 15's have so yeah..

They are the same tire height that our old persona had correct? Meaning yeah. That's low profile ;)

And yeah I know our suspension is the same, I stated the 2016 suspension is reworked over the prior Generation (i.e. Our old cars) and I was stating how I think my car handles just fine as is without the need for 17" wheels.

4. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I guess my point is I've seen much, much "lower profile" tires than mine. I bet you felt great the first time you drove the 4th Gen home! I know I did. It has one of the most enjoyable, comfortable and sporty rides I have ever driven. And yes....it's still a Prius. hard to believe ain't it? Plus I get so many compliments it's the cherry on top.

So when is the roof wrap coming?

5. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Gotcha :)

And yeah my 15's are 65 profile tires (definition of a normal profile tire). Yours are most likely 45 profile correct? That is the definition of a low profile tire. FYI. What's known in the hood and rap videos is probably what your thinking of and that's considered "Rollin on blades". Extreme low profile Lol. Can you say ridiculousness. A crack in the road can cause issues. Haha.

No wrap yet, not sure if it's gonna happen. Just paid the $300 for the tint....

And yes. I am totally loving the new car!! It's awesome.

6. 4rpr15

4rpr15 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yep exactly my point my tires are not close to what issues an extreme low profile tire can have. I can happily say I'm still far from that. If not why would I swap 15's out for 17's in WI? Lol makes no sense right, but all has been great so far.

My roof wrap may be happening this weekend. :) 4 out of 4 very well known wrap installers in my area agree that having no moonroof makes it look a ton better, cleaner and most importantly more realistic being that it's supposed to be a panoramic roof

7. HOT OHC

HOT OHC New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I recently tinted the sides and rear with Johnsons Marathon product and now am thinking of tinting the windshield with their ceramic InsulatIR film. (sorry can't post link due to my newbieness) I would go with 85, their lightest grade. They say it ups the solar energy rejection from 18% (glass only) to 31%.

The only issue I can see with the instillation are the pleasure dots (dot matrix) at the center top of the windshield. One installer said we could try a sample piece over the dots first and suggested that maybe would have to sand them down a bit to avoid air bubbles.

The problem with the Prius is no matter how much you tint you throw on the sides and rear windows, it's the windshield with it's shallow angle that lets in a metric ton of dash melting heat.

8. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    image.jpeg

No issues here! Johnson tint also! My place has the computer program to cut it exact and no bubbles. :cool:(y)

9. HOT OHC

HOT OHC New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So you avoided the dots and cut around them? If you could post a pic that would be awesome. Also what exact film did you use?

I too have the Three with ATP.

Thanks!!

10. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    It's Johnson 43%

They use the computer and it prints out the exact dimensions for which ever window they need. In this case the windshield. It's a perfect match. Your shop probably has the same program. If not ask around. I did attach a pic, can you see it? If you mean from the inside I can take a look later and let you know :)

11. HOT OHC

HOT OHC New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah I meant a pic from the inside, particularly around the dots. I doubt any shop around here would have any template for the windshield because it's illegal to put any tint on it here in California. As you can image due to liability a lot of shops won't do windshields.

California Vehicle Code Section 26708:

(a)(1)  A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(2) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle that obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

Exception: Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.

Thanks again.

12. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I just checked and yeah it goes right over the dots and right around the square box where the radar is for the DRCC and the rear view mirror. No issues at all and no bubbles. A couple hot days in the sun and it will cure to the windshield and over the dots no problem.

13. HOT OHC

HOT OHC New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok great. Thanks again for the help.

Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  14. Jeffersonalan

Jeffersonalan New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey do you know what % this is?'

15. 1stPriusLA

1stPriusLA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I just got 5% on rear, 15% on backseat & 30% on front seat. The 5% on the back window is kind of making me crazy since there's such a harsh contrast with the trunk window. What do you think? Are you having a hard time seeing out of your 5% rear?