1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Window Tinting?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by winebuff, Jun 30, 2009.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That must have been an installation issue, as I had Air Blue 80 on my windshield and did not have that problem at all. The only reason I removed it was because my installer left a ton of lint on the film.

Visibility and clarity will vary depending on the film. I personally think Huper Optik and F1 Pinnacle have great visibility, no idea on the others though.

2. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Most of the water bubbles are gone but not all on my 2009! Now the dealer says 6 months. Well after that experience I will take my 2011 to a Suntek dealer and see if he does better work. He claims he has ceramic film so I will check it out today.

BTW if you are using ceramic film you could get by with all 20 except the front side windows.

Since the ceramic film distortion is on my side windows I can live with it but would not have picked 3M or this dealer if I had known that in advance. Clear vision out your windows is a saftey issue. He said the ceramic film was very thick and will take a long time to dry as well as have distortion.

3. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

Or who will still be alive in 20 years. I do not keep a car past 100K.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Be careful there. Many so-called "ceramic" films aren't true ceramic but hybrid films.

5. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yep, I was hood winked but he did a first class job on install. So at $299 he did 18 on the back end and 28 of the front windows. Very nce job and I quit!

6. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wish I could get my windshield tinted, but TX has the dumb registration and inspection sticker on the bottom left.

7. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Have the installer leave a cut-out on the bottom left corner...:cool:

If it is Llumar Air Blue 80, the color difference isn't noticeable anyway.

8. Jimania

Jimania New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First, make sure you find a reputable window tint shop! Check their online reviews to make sure you are hiring quality window film installers.

As for the window films, I recommend 3M, Llumar or FormulaOne. Don't go ultra cheap or you'll get a film that discolors or bubbles up in the heat. inversely, I think films like Huper Optik are overpriced. Madico promotes their Green Manufacturing process if that matters to you. If Oregon has legal limits on tint darkness, make sure your window film is legal! Good luck!

9. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  10. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The ceramic film :D:D:Dturned out to be the best for the long run. All the small bubbles went away in 4 weeks. The ceramic is definately a better film than the carbon as I can feel the difference in the heat through the window. Also at night the ceramic is easier to see out. Backing up in thedark is always a problem and the camera does help.

11. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the pics, going to look at doing the 50% tint on my new 2012 Winter Grey after seeing your ride. Some diss the 50%; but you show it can look sharp.

12. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Huper Optik is the way to go, for a Winter Grey car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Huper Optik 50% ceramic for the front and 30% for the rear.

1 person likes this.
  13. kimseongjae

kimseongjae Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Check out
    Ebay seller, Filmvantage.
    Precut you your car (Very accurate)
    Alpine, Nano Ceramic Film (Nice, thick, quality, heat blocking)
    70% Front windshield (No factory tint; blocks heat, cuts glare, keeps glass shreds in the event of frontal collision)
    35% Front Sides (2020 PP comes with 90% from the factory. If you want to match the rears, you may want to go a little darker if possible)
    35% Rear Sides ( 2020 PP comes with 80% from the factory)
    20% Rear Hatch (2020 PP comes with 80% from the factory)

Nice film. Blocks about 50% heat. Precuts are spot on, Delivery and customer service is excellent.
    Going estimate for a good ceramic film will run you around $600-$700. installed.
    From Filmvantage, $150. + $150- $200 installation - depending on where you live.

On my M4, I splurged and spend $700. installed for a top of the line, Huper Optik film. I would say in comparison, Huper Optik film is about 20% better. Blocks the heat little better. Color is the same (Very slight Greenish hue. If you want all Grey/Black, you may want to go with a different film. Check out 3M Color Stable from Filmvantage), Quality is the same. But not $400 better. LOL.

Very happy with a film. Check it out.