1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windows 10 Update -- worth it?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Mar 15, 2023.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep.
    They also do not block certain non-woke purchases with their tin-plated Credit Card.
    My first purchase, as the acid test, was an M9 and they make it ridiculously easy not to pay interest on their card purchases. :cool:

Educators get the same discount btw... (ID.me)

Since their plastic ain't plastic.....I can almost accurately say that I STILL only need four pieces of plastic in my wallet:

Driving license
    CCP
    Military ID
    ATM card.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I will say I like some of Dell's stuff too.

The company issued me a Dell 7490 laptop and it takes the bruises of travel well enough. I can't really comment on performance as it is severely locked down. I mostly use it to read emails that tell me what work to do with my mac.

Also bought and managed many Dell poweredge servers, great kit. I find that it can be useful to get just the right reseller between yourself and Dell though. Well that's not so different from Apple.

#22 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Searched for how to do that, no avail. Looked up my account and it says I am an adminstrator. I'll just fox-and-grapes it I guess: Bill one, Mendel zero.

One "promising" tip was to run a command prompt as administrator, and enter this:

net user administrator /active:yes

Didn't help.

4. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OP again,

Strange, I don't know how long this "optional" update had been hanging around on my PC's settings>updates page, but a good long while.

Today, I boot up the box and all is good for four minutes or so, but then the computer starts not responding, etc.

I bring up task manager....which took forever to appear...anyway, MS decided the "optional update" was no longer optional and is now downloading/installing, SIGH.
    kris

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Windows update is no longer like the old days. For the most part, Windows OS is like other modern OS in that it is always connected. Unless you happen to have some legacy programs or hardware that require older (and thus probably less secure) OS versions, I would update as recommended. I have several Windows boxes around the house which I use for a single task (one connected to a TV for streaming, one used for a coffee roaster, and one used for car diagnostics) that get updated automatically and have not had any problems.

Since I still use a work-issued Windows 10 laptop for my work, I am familiar with the OS. But for most of my personal use, I am now 100% Chrome OS convert. It is cheap and user-friendly, and the data and app are always there even if I switch to a different Chromebook mid-work, and works perfectly with my Android phone.

6. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, some forty-five minutes ago, MS decided they were going to make the optional update mandatory and begin install. MY PC began running very slow, so went off to clean my WaterPik, wash dishes, chase the lazy dogs outside, etc.

Came back a few minutes ago and checked and MS reported back and said everything has been installed, the computer is up-to-date now and we are all happy -- except I don't trust MS assurances, so clicked the check for updates button....it is now installing the update it claimed to have installed in the past 45 minutes. GRRRR
    kris

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Oh yeah, I guess what I was thinking of was what you found earlier, back on page 11 of the need to vent thread. :oops:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  9. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So for some fun reference. I have built my own home computers all my life and have used Windows based laptops. The best Laptop that I ever owned was a Samsung (apparently the person who stole it thought likewise). I have used HP, Lenovo and Dells laptops. They are much less in cost than a Samsung, but not as good (in my opinion). In regards to people getting the "your computer isn't compatible for Windows 11", I was dumb founded regarding my home computer. I just built my home computer last year with the latest CPU and motherboard. Turns out, Windows 11 is sensitive to certain CPU cores and brands. They have a complete list of compatible CPU's so, I went out and purchased a "compatible" CPU, only to get the same stupid message. Well, thank goodness for the internet. I googled this issue, found out I wasn't the only one and found a solution. I followed their advice and was able to update to Windows 11, even on my older computers. Go figure!