1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windows 10, yet, anyone?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Sep 5, 2015.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love classic shell. Some on P/C mentioned it, I think....Anyway, I have put it on a friend's machine and have told a few other people about it and they also installed and like it.

I suppose, if I was not so impatient, I would have gotten used to the new Windows 10 look and feel, but classic shell received great reviews and it has worked well for me, so?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So that's what it was, GRRRRR.

I accepted an "update" 3 days ago, and it took forever to install, with multiple reboots.

Then after all was completed, I am back to having the reboot when waking from Sleep Mode again.

So far, I haven't been able to fix it this time around. Sigh.

3. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, my computer shows last update for W10 on July 29. Maybe they skipped me!:)

EKK, now my computer has started downloading the anniversary update...what have I done!!!

4. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Says it improved Internet security.
    Both mine seem to be fine just need to check all the settings.I am use to 8/10 since I had to use those at work 24/7

5. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Its like driving that new Prius, you just need to figure it out a little each day. Discovered long ago you can put shortcuts to stuff on your desktop sometimes, maybe, for most items. My PC, C drive, Control panel, clean disk, and file folders. Some you have to left click, some drag and drop, etc. Some will only do it in certain sub folders.

Yes the transition from WIN 7 was a quit cold turkey which I had to do.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Went back to previous version of Windows (10) where everything was working smoothly. Waking from Sleep Mode is ok again.

Now I have to figure out what was changed to screw up the system with the anniversary update. I believe there's no way to disable the automatic updates,so I might get the anniversary update again.

7. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    W10 update took about seven hours, lots of changes, most of which I don't like and then overnight, I awoke to find that it had updated again and this time all items on my desktop were duplicated on the taskbar. That took a blurry minute or two to figure out and do away with.

ETP likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk EGR Fanatic

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Windows key plus X puts a lot of stuff at your finger tips.

I create hot keys for all my favourite programs, found in win 10 that accomplishing this was disjointed, requiring a variety of tactics.

Also, you can dismiss the array of tiles in the start menu, need to right click em one at a time, one option deletes it. Then drag the right border of that zone to the left, it's gone and stays gone.

There's ways to make windows explorer look more traditional, get rid of the "ribbon".

How-to-geek site has a lot of good tips, for one.

Merkey and ETP like this.
  9. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks for the inputs by both of you. I manually did the updates on all 4 laptops by picking the anniversary edition online and starting the update on my own.
    Just got curious about the Learn More link and there it had every single OS drop in order.

Mine are all working fine but my standards are real low since my view of the world in now Win 10 and has been for a long time.

Seems the issue with going to sleep and shutting down could have been fixed in power options advanced setting/change. I have my desktop/laptop set to never shutdown and my travel laptop is set to stay on for at least 60 minutes in every mode of operation. Learned the hard way that things crash when it goes to sleep in a middle of a software test.

mmmodem and Mendel Leisk like this.
  10. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Every mode means a laundry list of settings. I will get a Scooby snap for you.
    See the power options box in the left corner? Sometimes settings those will work for the person signed in only unless your are admin. There is a way to set it for all users in the users rights section but my mind has turned to mush in 8 months of non use.

upload_2016-8-8_11-52-1.png

#110 ETP, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  11. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Either I haven't received the anniversary update or it's been so minor that I haven't noticed it. I've read up on its changes on review sites but nothing on it compels me to update. It's interesting reading up on your experiences. I will treat the anniversary update the same as I treat my copy of Office 2007. Not fixing what ain't broke. Also interesting, now that Microsoft has no need to nag me about updating Windows 10, it has switched gears to daily nag me to update to Office 365.

P.S. Yes, I know I have no choice on win 10 updates.

ETP likes this.
  12. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You will get it pushed as far as I know (best to do it on your own terms). Support issues as MS tries to limit the OS variations it has to support with antivirus and Trojan fixes.

If on the internet you may be forced to update. Maybe.

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nope, I wish it was that simple. SMH

That's the first thing that I tried, as it comes up on Google search for the problem. I remember finding the fix that involved using registry editor (regedit) to change a setting in the registry that fixed the problem for me. However, I can't find that link/solution now. FML

I have copied my registry and will have something to compare with when the anniversary update gets pushed to my PC again.

ETP likes this.
  14. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Apparently the ANNIVERSARY UPDATE spread a big line of bread crumbs back to my 'puter and Cortana found her way back home.

I have found a few websites that tell how to make her an orphan once again via some registry hocus pocus, but before I attempt to send her out in the cold cruel world alone again, has anyone else tried it and had success?

ETP likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like Windows10 is more hassle than it's worth lol.

srellim234 and ETP like this.
  16. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Smelly rat problem. Recently, in all these upgrades I have noticed that my mouse pointer gives me a list of options when I try to click on a link. Sometimes it takes 3 clicks to get to the Tbone steak.

Not sure if it is a WIN 10 feature or a mouse issue. Using a BT mouse. I am trying to replicate this with the mouse pad.

17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Try going to the mouse manufacturers website to see if there is an updated driver available for Windows 10.

ETP likes this.
  18. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Looks like a new feature to me. But maybe not.

19. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    Persona
    Oh good god.....I'm hoping I don't have the same on my end. Downloading it now. I couldn't get rid of Cortana fast enough after the initial install, and if she comes back all like:

Attached Files:

ETP likes this.
  20. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Ok, it is a smelly rat problem. The design of the mouse has all the buttons under one piece of plastic that rotates when you push the right and left side.

No wonder they were on sale.:ROFLMAO: