1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windows 7 32 bit license

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by VFerdman, Jun 11, 2018.

1. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I finally found that laptop I was looking for to become my TechStream rig. At my town dump I have scored a Lenovo T400 in perfect working, if not cosmetic condition. The thing had nothing wrong with it at all. It was missing an AC adapter and the battery is of course not holding a lot of charge (but not fully dead either). It had Windows XP on it and the original owners didn't even delete their accounts, which were not password protected. I just logged right in. The machine works very well and I have since wiped its drive and installed Windows 7 Pro 32 bit as is recommended for use with TechStream. I have a cheap knock off from Amazon cable and CD that I have never tried (bought a long time ago) because I did not have a 32 bit Windows 7 machine and really did not have a reason to need (and still don't, my Prius is running just fine). I have been on a lookout for a nice old laptop and this one came into my life for free, so I think it's time to get the TechStream rig running.

So, I downloaded and installed Windows 7 Pro 32 bit version, but I can not find a good and cost-effective way to activate it. This is why I am posting this. If anyone has a license they would like to sell to me at a reasonable price, please let me know. It makes no difference which version of Win 7 your licence is for. I have images for all of them. I only need the actual license key. I do not really want to "steal" the software, I want to get a legitimate licence. I have an OEM image of Home Premium, so that can work too. I will also be on a lookout for a broken Win 7 machine to pull the key from, but I find those difficult to locate and when I do the tags are all worn off and unreadable.

So if anyone can help me out with this, I will really appreciate it

P.S. If this thread can be placed in a more relevant forum, please relocate it. I just did not know exactly where to put it.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bump.
    I've been tinkering a lot lately with Arduino IDE/TASMOTA/MQTT and sometimes getting various software bits to work in Linux (Mint/Zorin) can be exacerbating....so.......when I read this thread I invested about an hour trying to find a W7 license that is (really!) legit, working, and inexpensive.
    This appears to be another one of @bwilson4web "pick two" things......
    .......might try XP in a virtual machine instead but I already have enough tinker projects milking all of my free time. :(

Anybody?

VFerdman likes this.
  3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    EBay "be" your friend.

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If the OEM home premium is a legit copy, or recovery partition, go with that copy because it may have the key embedded during the installation. There's really no "recommended" Win OS for Techstream, it just depends on which version of techsteam you have. You can also look underneath the laptop to see if the genuine microsoft product key sticker is still there, if so you can use the product key on the sticker.

5. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The laptop came with windows XP and the sicker is really worn, so key is not very legible. The copy of Windows 7 Home Premium I have is downloaded from the Microsoft website, so it's legit, but I still need a key (from an old laptop sticker or something.

I do not trust ebay for the Windows key. Too easy for the seller to get away with crap.

6. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lemme know if you find anything.
    I've still got my ear to the ground....

7. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Basically looking for a product key sticker off a dead Windows 7 computer. If you see one on a trash heap, write it down and send it to me for lots of good karma :)

8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Anything downloaded from microsoft is legit, its just matter of product key when it comes to registration process.

During my undergrad years, student had access to microsoft library and product keys were at no charge but limited to 2 devices per key, let me check to see where those images and keys are in my closest and send you a legit unused key.

VFerdman likes this.
  9. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That would be fantastic! I downloaded a bunch of Win 7 images from Microsoft (wasn't easy, BTW, but not impossible). So I have pretty much an image of every version that existed including Home Premium OEM. All I need is a key.

10. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just sent the key to you thru PM, let me know if it activates. It was a backup product key in case someone else needed it, at least it doesn't take up physical space like the rest of the obsolute computer equipment that I'm still hoarding up closet space :ROFLMAO:

ETC(SS) and VFerdman like this.
  11. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ LOL!

I resemble that remark!!!

12. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you SO MUCH! It worked like a charm! Activated right up. And yes, no physical space is a wonderful thing. I have a bit of junk myself, but more than just computers. I also do leather working, metal smithing, car repair and maintenance. You want junk, I got some junk, lol. I've been getting rid of my computer hardware junk, though. I am old and have been in this game since way before internet. I have RS232 cables collecting dust and I just brought my last CRT device to the local transfer station for recycling.

Thank you again, this is absolutely perfect and exactly what I was looking for when I posted the thread. It took a bit of time, but finally the right answer came along. Priuschat for the win!

pilotgrrl and Grit like this.
  13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Glad it worked out for ya. As I was trying to find the key, I discovered a hidden pile of other keys, XPs, MEs, 7s both 32 and 64 bit that's yet used. I hoarded these legit like 15 years ago and hope people can use them to good use. If anyone needs a legit key, let me know.

pilotgrrl and VFerdman like this.
  14. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is a great offer and a valuable one. The ISO images of legit Windows 7 are available and honestly, it is the best Windows I have used. I have it on my main laptop (it's an oldish Lenovo T530i, but works great) and everything just works fine. Got a Win10 machine and for the life of me can not make it print on the network printer or access my NAS (Raspberry Pi running headless Linux distro).

15. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Will you let us know how your TechStream is working on your Free Laptop. I have similar cheap knock off TechStream and cable from ebay. I tried to use it with my old net book running 32 bit Win 7 OS, but no go. Mini VCI does not get recognized by the software. I have given up on it, but if yours work, I may revisit the set up again.

VFerdman likes this.
  16. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...what PC is supposed to be about!

17. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, my next set of problems is not Windows related, but I figured I'd post here anyway in hopes of someone pointing me in the right direction.

My cheap mini-VCI cable from Amazon came with a CD that is physically damaged, so I can not get anything off it. I bought it about 8 months ago and have only gotten to it now, so returning it is not an option. What I have heard is that Techstream is easy to get and I already have a driver for the cable. The Techstream is not as easy to obtain as I thought. Every version I get requires registration. How do people deal with that?

Thanks again for great help with Windows 7 32 bit. The laptop works like a charm!

18. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ANY chance of repairing the CD?
    If I'm understanding things correctly, the CD that came with the cable is just a driver?
    It seems that a replacement should be available on-line.

I'm bumping up against the border of my knowledge on TS, since I have no need for this product.....

19. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Almost all of rip-off version sold on Ebay has the registration step circumvented already.

20. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And most of them contain viruses, as I understand. So what is everyone who uses TS do?