1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windows 7 32 bit license

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by VFerdman, Jun 11, 2018.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That why you run it on a dedicated machine. My eBay'd Techstream runs on a Win7 virtual machine with no network access, no share access, only the 1 virtualized USB device, the OBDII reader. It can have whatever terrible viruses it wants, doesn't matter to me. Every time I power it off the non-persistent hard drive wipes back to the state of just after I installed TS. That's IMHO the best way to do it. That way I don't have a machine dedicated to TS, just 20GB of data dedicated that usually sits "powered down".

And eBay is your friend for keys. The recyclers sell legit keys from junked equipment for a few dollars.

Mark57 likes this.
  2. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's a good way of doing it, I suppose (virtualizing TS to a sandbox), but surely it is not what most people on here do. I may be wrong, of course.

3. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anecdotally remembering what others have posted is they pick up a scrap laptop install TS on it, and use it only for that. Never connect it to their network or anything. And when not using TS that physical machine sits on a shelf collecting dust. Easier to do especially since old laptops are barely worth their scrap value, it is really easy to get one with a bad battery or a keyboard that's missing a key, or cosmetic damage. None of which matter to a machine you'll use so infrequently you'll probably forget where it is the next time you do need it.

4. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, I got just a laptop like that. This is why started this thread. I scored a really nice Lenovo T400 with Win XP on it and nothing wrong with it (battery is old and does not hold much charge, but that's normal for a machine this age). I posted this thread to help me with a Win 7 license, which was graciously provided to me. I have downloaded Win 7 Pro 32 bit from Microsoft, but needed the key for it. After I installed Win 7 on it I realized how very nice this laptop actually is. It's an older ThinkPad that is in really good shape. So I want to have it as a backup machine and having viruses on it is not exactly great for that. So I may try to figure out the virtual machine way. I just ordered a 240GB SSD for it as the original drive in it is a slow 160GB spinner. The machine does have 4GB of RAM installed, so it runs pretty well and those things were built like tanks, so it still has a lot of life in it. I may upgrade to 8GB of RAM, install a 64bit OS and run a virtual machine with 32 bit Win 7 in it. This is what you originally suggested and it's looking more an more like the thing to do. Do you have any recommendations for a free (or cheap) virtualization software? Virtual box?

5. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use VMware for all my virtualization needs. It just works. You will need both your Win7 key for the Techstream install and a key for your host OS. Today it doesn't make sense not to be on Win10 of some kind. All of these recycled keys can be found in eBay.

Or you can just buy another junk laptop from eBay, most likely for less than the cost of a good Virtualization program.

6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bought my copy on ebay thinking it was a legitimate copy. After looking at the tweak to the rtf to reset the you know what, that's when I realized no wonder the price was soo good. It's installed on my windows 10 laptop, it doesn't and haven't had contracted a virus. It's installed on a laptop that gets normal usage on the internet. The most important thing is to not allow the software to send and receive data from the internet so just tell firewall to deny in and outbound internet traffic to the specific software.

7. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update. I have tried to get a gey for the Techstream and got a virus instead (I know way better, but even I can get fooled sometimes). So I decided to reformat the drive and reinstall Windows instead of trying to clean out the trojan and who knows what else got in there. To that end I ordered a 240GB SSD ($50ish) and a power supply this laptop was missing from Amazon and now that they arrived I have installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 on the SSD (much faster than the 160GB spinner that came with the laptop). I am still looking for a virus-free Teschstream install, but have put this project on the back burner for now as I have other things to do and not really in urgent need of TS yet. I have a bluetooth dongle in conjunction with Torque Pro on my phone and thus far it's been enough for my needs. But since I have the cable (cheap chinese knock off), and now a dedicated windows machine, I wanted to have the TS setup ready to go in case I need it.

So I am still open to recommendations of how to get the TS installed on my laptop properly and without the viruses. I am considering running some sort of virtualization platform and then I won't care so much about the viruses, but I am not that familiar with virtual machines and do not really want to invest more money into this. I'll do it if I have to, of course. So any suggestions as to how to get the TS running on my Windows 7 32 bit laptop would be great.

8. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you have all the available options. When you install TS, you will get a virus. Why do you think it's free? I have never seen a clean copy other than the one that comes with the expensive monthly bill from Toyota.
    • Buy TS subscription from Toyota - No problem, it just works
    • Buy TS on the gray market with viruses
      • Install on a machine that you can allow to get viruses - no connectivity to your network or outside world and is not used for anything else
      • Same as above except be one of the millions of people that don't care and become part of the botnets. Resistance is futile...
      • Install TS in a sandbox environment like a virtual machine where you can control what it does. When not in use, it sleeps and consumes no resources other than hard drive space.
    For Virtualization, there is really only 1 option. VMWare. This is what they do. There are lots of other options, some free, some paid, but VMWare is a different class. Microsoft has started rolling out a pretty good virtualization platform on their server editions, it might make its way to consumer level in a few years, maybe...

Here is on particular VM install of TS just sitting there doing nothing on my main machine.

techstream_vm.jpg

9. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've asked my library to get a Tech Stream subscription. That might be a possibility for others. I did suggest they ask Toyota for a few free subs as a "good neighbor" in Plano.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.