1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windows open vs fan only vs climate control

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by MNdriver, Aug 23, 2017.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Those tests were against a traditional A/C system, the kind with a belt connected to the engine, not electric like Prius.

2. jungleland1972

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Good point. Consumer reports also mentioned that there is no noticeable drag with having the windows open: Driving With Windows Open or With A/C Running? - Consumer Reports
    I think in the end, it really comes down to comfort.

3. VTBIGDOG

VTBIGDOG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The original post mentioned 'fan only but my research and use of the Prime is indicating that fan only use is not possible without running the air conditioning.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After viewing a few seriously deficient episodes (when visiting elsewhere as my home lacks cable TV), then reading the synopsis of this episode, I have no confidence in their finding:

"... but MythBusters Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage fueled up two identical SUVs and took them to the tracks to truly solve this roadside riddle.

With five gallons of gasoline in each tank, the MythBusters saddled up their SUVs and circled Northern California's Altamont Raceway at 45 miles (72 kilometers) per hour to see which one ran out of fuel first. Before starting their engines, Jamie cranked up the AC, Adam rolled down his windows, and the pair set off on their race to nowhere.

In the end, Jamie's air-conditioned SUV stopped first, while Adam's window-cooled car ran for 15 miles (24 kilometers) more. Since rolling down the windows sustained Adam's SUV for a significantly longer distance, the MythBusters busted the expert advice."

Even with supposedly "identical SUVs", this separate-driver, separate-vehicle test will hide many confounding factors. Absent a detailed description of how they addressed each of them, I must reject their finding outright.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do they say the total distance travelled? This would be very helpful, in correlating what percent the 15 miles greater travel represented. And hopefully the 5 gallons in each tank was accurate. I would assume they ran both dry at the outset.

I'm pretty sure AC use lowers our fuel economy, just seat-of-pants observation, and that's at lowish speeds, drag less of a factor. Again, we're rarely if ever "all windows all the way down": it more often than not just the fronts, maybe half down, or less, depending on speed.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The synopsis doesn't say how far they traveled. And I don't have time to go find and watch the episode. Most of those shows contain much more filler than than substance.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This topic comes up from time to time.
    I always come down to "Life is just too short".
    Sure, I like efficiency, I like saving gas. Not burning fuel. BUT....

There is a point where enjoyment and comfort trump the minutia of savings or efficiency. I've always used my windows, air conditioning, sunroof...as needed, as I've wanted...with comfort as the primary baseline. And I've never regretted it.

Krzysiek_KTA likes this.
  8. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    After being in the 90°'s forever here we've just gotten a cold front today. I'm doing a slow 45 mph, 80 mile drive in the morning and it's supposed to be in the 50°'s in the morning. Windows will be down and the only thing eating into my gas mileage will be the size of the huge grin on my face. :D

When I was doing my 800 miles on one tank attempts, I tried it with the windows up and down with controlled variables. I got slightly better mileage with the windows up but I had a lot of wind during those tests and I attribute it to the quartering winds.