1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windows vs Mac

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Oct 2, 2006.

1. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I always think about "finger" when people talk about how secure Unix is...

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vtie @ Oct 4 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]327974[/snapback]</div>
    The Precision Workstation line is much lower volume and much higher priced than their Dimension, Optiplex, and XPS lines. However, if you compare features, the fair comparision of the MacPro is against the PW line, not one of their high volume, heavily discounted lines.

I did spend about five minutes going through the pricing and they come out almost exactly the same, right around $2200. The main difference is that the Mac has a slighly cheaper video card in it compared to the PW690 (about $80 less).

When I was in MBA school we had to go through this exercise of calculating Dell's cost advantage. One of the largest components of cost savings was due to the combination of 1) steadily falling component costs month after month, and 2) decreased time to manufacture. Basically, the advantage came from being able to buy components later, and therefore for a lower cost compared to their competitors. For instance, if component prices fell on average 2% per month, and a competitor's PC sold on the same day had to enter manufacturing 60 days before the Dell system did, that was a 4% cost savings.

3. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Oct 4 2006, 10:29 PM) [snapback]328051[/snapback]</div>
    I used to buy Dell Precision Workstations, until I realise that it does not make sense. If you need the most computer power for a given price, it is makes more sense to buy Dimension machines and switch to new computers more often. The PW series is a typical example of vertical market differentiation, based on little hard evidence. The series was created for those who are willing to pay a large premium for a small increase in quality. It's not the place where the competition is sharpest, and it's not a showcase of Dell's commercial succes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Oct 4 2006, 10:29 PM) [snapback]328051[/snapback]</div>
    Of course. Stock is what kills you in the computer hardware assembly, because of the rapid aging technology and falling prices. Most of the success of Dell is based on the fact that they stock life is very short.