1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windows XP Auto-compress/expand folder or virtual disk?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Jan 1, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I've got some large, sparse files that are easily compressed, 2GB -> 50MB, but it is awkward to have to manually compress and expand a file for the application, CardioScape. What I would like is a virtual folder or disk that to Windows XP looks 'normal' and especially to the windows application, CardioScape. I am OK with loading the file taking longer as it is read.

I found instructions on how to add the "Compressed (zipped) Folders" to the "File" menu:
    My first test of a folder just created a normal zip file (typed "StuffIt Archive" and not "File Folder".) Using properties, I was able to change it to "Compressed (zipped) Folder" but the application CardioScape does not see it as a folder in the "File" menu. The application CardioScape did not list either a "zip" or a "Compressed (zipped) Folder" as a folder from which to access and open the internal file, the 2GB binary. So it looks like all I've done is add ZIP operations to the Windows file system menu, not really helpful.

What I want is a virtual folder that allows the application, CardioScape, to treat it as a ordinary folder and handle the decompression when the data is read . . . transparent to the application. In effect, 'on the fly' decompression by any Windows XP application.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

ps. I may have found a solution:
    • Format a USB thumb drive with NTFS with "Compress" option enabled.
    • Copy the folders with the files to the USB drive.
      • The application opens the files from the NTFS flash drive without a problem and reads them faster. <grins>
    • Create an ISO image of the thumb drive (not tested, yet.)
    • Mount the ISO image.

2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You may want to migrate to Windows 7, all other reasons aside- the file folder compression works with one click and without zipping the contents.

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Since I have Virtual PC, this is a reasonable option for a specific, virtual device. I also have older software, Chinese hacked, Techstream, and there are reports that it is not trivial to get it to run under later Windows releases.

Bob Wilson

4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As a test I copied a 30k word doc into a compressed Win7 folder- it shrunk it down to 15k, a 50% reduction.