1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windshield bugs/debris deflector to protect the roof?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by RMB, Dec 14, 2016.

1. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMG_4347.JPG

I have this problem with my 2014 Prius, and which I am kinda surprise no one has brought this up. This is the closest complaint found on PriusChat: Leading roof edge at top of windshield is a bug catcher! | PriusChat

Almost on every vehicle there is a molding at the top of the windshield that covers the grove between the roof and windshield, without that, the front edge of the roof is exposed, thus now I have a few rust spots at the front edge of the roof, caused by rock chips and debris from everyday freeway driving. Has anyone have the same problem chips in the same area? Are there any aftermarket parts that can act as a bugs/debris deflector at the top of windshield? I will get the rusts off but I need to prevent this from happening again.

I am fine with rock chips at front bumper and hood as I am used to driving on Hwy 880 everyday, but the roof? sigh.

2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IMG_6214.JPG Have you had your windshield replaced ? The way the picture looks, it appears that your W/S is sitting down into the opening more than it should. I'm sure that there are spacers that sit on the fence of the opening that give it the right depth to the roof line. Your's looks sunken.
    Attached is a picture of mine. Looks like it should.

3. Veliksam

Veliksam Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You can get a strip of 3M PPF installed there, I did this on my other cars.

Every new car I bought I always install 3M PPF on my bumper, headlights, hood, pillars, 6" roof piece.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Bluegrassman likes this.
  4. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My windshield was replaced about few weeks ago, but I saw those chips and rust spots even before replacing the w.s. My friend's 2015 has about the same depth as my replaced w.s., but he doesnt have the chips at the front edge so I guess it's just about my driving route. (Hwy 880 in the East Bay is a major truck route with some bumpy road surface, so rock chips are all over the front of my cars)

5. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know if you bought the car new but if the w/s was like that before, I would bet you it was previously replaced. According to your photo, the w/s looks as if it has slid down on the fence creating that gap and roofline exsposure. My w/s is virtually flush with the roof. None the less, it doesn't help that your drive is full of flying gravel.

6. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought mine in 2014, I'm the original owner but never paid attention to the roof front edge until right before replacing the windshield as I saw some brown rust spots, and only after replacing the w.s. that I look closely to the height. My friend bought his Prius early this year with HUGGGGGGEEEEEEEEE discount on the remaining new Gen 3's so I asked him to compare his and mine and he said mine was just about slightly lower than his. Anyways I am going to look for some kind of lip to tape to the top of windshield to prevent more debris hitting the leading edge of the roof.

7. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, that's about all you can do at this point.

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    @RMB

FWIW, I just looked at our 2013 Prius Model Three. I see the same lip that you are talking about. I don't see the seal like what is shown in post #2 above.

From what I have learned, the Gen III Prius did have a refresh or makeover after 2012, which might explain why your Prius and mine appear the same versus BZzaps 2012. Other than that I really don't have a clue.

You might check with some glass shops in your area and see if they might have something aftermarket to help you.

Best of luck to you. (y)

9. 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    First post! I just bought a used 2014 and my windshield is also like the OP's with that gap. Post 2 is a different look.

Tangential thread hijack: has anyone had rust in this area repaired and can report on process or cost? Mine has rust spots right along that leading roof edge - they all look a bit flakey and bubbly and one is almost 2" wide which ain't good. Previous owner daubed touch-up paint on top, which makes it look even worse.

I don't really care about aesthetics as much as I do the rust getting worse and eating through the roof panel. I feel like with repairs like these, often the windshield is removed, which then is a risk for it breaking. So I'm a bit torn.

The body shop guy theorized windshield was replaced and someone scratched the roof which then grew into rust, but I've done my research with the buyer (who seems trustworthy) and he said the windshield has never been replaced. Doesn't look like it, either - it's pretty worn.