1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windshield Chip, too small for Safelite to repair

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Russ Bohn, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Russ Bohn

Russ Bohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I got a small chip on my windshield, took it to Safelite thinking they would fix it and they said it was too small and they did not want to mess with it.

You can feel the chip with your fingernail. What are my options?

DLC82SV likes this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had a similar occurrence on our 2010.

They said it was too small to repair, so I kept the write up on file just in case;).

Keep an eye on it and see if it grows or gets worse then engage them again would be my advice(y).

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My suggestion would be to leave it until it start to spider web or form a longer hairline crack and make a insurance claim to replace windshield if you already have a no deductible glass coverage. If you don't have no deductible glass coverage already, upgrade it now, and wait. If you don't have insurance to cover it, inevitable windshield replacement is going to cost you over $1,000. Even with a comprehensive, if it has deductible for glass replacement, it will cost you.

4. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have several of those small chips/dings. Just live with it, I guess. I don't like this Toyota glass.

5. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just got hit with a bit of crumbling overpass (small bit of concrete about 1/2 around (with embedded river rock aggregate)… it was still laying pinned by the wipers when I got home). Looks like someone took a small hammer to the windshield (small crumbled spot in the bottom passenger side of the windscreen). A crack started, went to bed and it was about 2" long. Got up in the morning and it's about 4' long across most of the length of the windshield. I have an appt on Thursday at Safelite to have it replaced. Total cost is $403 for the new windshield. Of course, the insurance deductible I have is $500... blech.

Starship16 and DLC82SV like this.
  6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this quote for genuine Toyota windshield installed and front facing camera re-calibrated? I thought there are still no aftermarket windshield available for Gen4 Prius including Prime, and genuine Toyota parts cost over $600.

7. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I got a windshield ding on the passenger side that the glass company said they'd have to change the windshield. I went out and picked up one of those repair kits and used it to stabilize the ding. It's been nearly 4 years now and the ding is still holding up.

java007md and DLC82SV like this.
  8. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Well maybe it is a very minor chip?
    I don't know, WS do get chipped regularly.

Maybe purchase a $20 universal auto parts store ws chip repair kit and attempt a repair yourself?
    If you don't like the repair I believe you can remove the filler with a razor blade.

Good luck.

9. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't have any insurance on my windshield. I guess I should add that to my policy. Safelite said it would be $1000 for Toyota OEM glass, and half that price for a non-Toyota windshield. They are not cheap, it was $108 just to squirt some glue into a tiny little chip. :LOL: I don't think I will use Safelite again.

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the kit I used.

Mendel Leisk and Mark57 like this.
  11. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Get the insurance now, then wait and see if the glass needs replacement. I've had lots of divots in the glass that did not grow. Eventually there are enough that the glare of a setting sun makes driving unpleasant and likely unsafe, and I get the replacement.

If your car has the camera in the pod in front of the rear view mirror, then the camera needs recalibration by a qualified shop after the windshield replacement. I think the insurance will also cover this. Safelite says that they do the recalibration.
    Windshield Camera Calibration | ADAS Recalibration | Safelite AutoGlass

I have Safeco insurance, and they use Safelite as their agent for windshield chip repair. The local auto glass shop has me sit down, they dial up Safelite for me, I give my details to Safelite, and Safelite authorizes the repair at this (non-Safelite) shop to be paid by Safeco.

12. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is exclusive of the re-calibration. I need to make an appt at Toyota to have that done (I had to leave immediately for a long interstate drive after the window was replaced). Total bill came to $437 with tax. The HUD is just as visible as it was with the old windshield. Could be that they made some sort of mistake, and if so then I got a great deal, but all I know is that I was pleasantly surprised by the price.

Salamander_King likes this.
  13. utsug

utsug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Barely a week of driving my Prime got this minor windshield chip. Luckily it didn't develop any cracks .
    Just added a glass insurance on my car with $50 deductible.
    Also my insurance agent said that it also covers exterior lights like tail light and headlight.
    20180815_165355.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. marcpablo

marcpablo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I got a chip pulling out of the dealership when I took delivery, went to Safelite and they also said that it was too small to fix. They also notices little blue spots in the windshield which they said was delaminating glass. I bought a wax pencil and went over the windshield carefully and circled 37 "spots" on the windshield and then went to my local dealership to show the service manager. They replaced the windshield within a week under a defect warranty. No charge.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You could fill in such tiny chips with an off the shelf product, but they are isolated to the surface layer of the laminated glass, so shouldn't be risk to spreading or going deeper.

16. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a similar chip. But with a tiny 1/4" long crack. And Safelite jumped right on it... for $108!!!! :LOL: It took him all of 5 minutes, and I can still see the crack from inside the car. I got taken to the cleaners!

#16 Starship16, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I paid $15.00 for the Permatex windshield repair kit. ;)

18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Even if the resin got all the way into the crack, it has a different refractive index than the glass, so the repair could still be spotted.

Yeah, but the professional systems have a better shot at filling the entire crack.

When I tried using an off the shelf repair for one of these surface chips. I end up pulling most of the cured resin out of the chip doing the clean up around it. Without an actual crack to anchor the resin in, that is probably a risk with the professional systems too.

19. 2015BlizzardPriusFour

2015BlizzardPriusFour Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Had similar on one of my smart cars. They told me “the repair is for structural integrity, not for aesthetic purposes. You still see it, but it’s safe now.”

What a load of BS when it’s in a spot you always look through. It stuck out like a sore thumb.

Luckily a couple weeks later I got smacked by a huge rock from a semi and had to have the windshield replaced.

iPad ?

20. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In some states, a crack directly in view might require a new windshield regardless of whether it could be fixed.