1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windshield Hydrophobic Coating

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by m8547, Mar 15, 2023.

1. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Has anyone else noticed that the factory windshield seems to have some sort of durable hydrophobic coating? I think it was an obscure line on a spec sheet somewhere. Mine still beads water somewhat after almost 5 years and 45,000 miles. A relatively huge rock (looks like a piece of 3/4" gravel on the dash cam footage) hit my windshield today, so I'm in need of a new one. I'm assuming it won't come with the hydrophobic coating unless I pay a lot extra for OEM glass.

Does anyone know of a coating that works like the factory applied one? RainX is garbage and lasts a few weeks at best. There are lots of ceramic coatings that make big claims, but I'm skeptical. No one seems to say what's in them or how they really work. They all sound like varying degrees of snake oil to me.

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Your Comprehensive Auto insurance should pick up the tab. Minus the deductible, if any.

3. m8547

m8547 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The deductible is $1000 and the windshield (aftermarket) plus installation plus camera calibration is going to be $980. The company I use apparently doesn't offer glass coverage with a separate deductible, but they do free chip repair (this is not repairable). Even if I could get Toyota glass free through insurance, it's not really worth making a claim and risking my rate going up.

4. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm pretty sure claims against Comprehensive (damage due to other than collision) and not chargeable and won't affect your premium. Not sure how old you are or where you live but I just checked and I pay $18.32/6mos zero deductible. Maybe there are advantages to being a Geezer? :)

Attached Files:

5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    chogan2 likes this.