1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

windshield wash fluid not spraying

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by want_a_c, Jan 23, 2014.

1. want_a_c

want_a_c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    So I obviously checked the fluid levels and added plenty to make sure its not empty..
    I don't know if there is some issue with a pump that needs to be warmed up first, or some ice buildup on the nozzles (obviously I didn't see any).
    After driving for about 20 minutes it started spraying just fine. Although it doesn't seem to spray very well in the rear window.
    I'm wondering if it is just the cold temperatures (was around 0-5 at night) or if there is another issue.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    With the weather we are having here in the NE (You don't list a location in your profile but I can see it and know it is cold there, lol) you probably had the washer fluid freeze in a line somewhere causing it not to spray. It'll work once it warms up, but don't keep trying to use them or you may burn out the pump. I always use up all my 'summer' fluid come September even if I have to just keep spraying it and then add winter fluid for the winter, a good one like Rain-X or Prestone winter fluid. It won't freeze down to the negative digits. The cheap stuff and the summer stuff will definitely freeze at 0-5 degree temps.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    my lines were freezing as well. Northern VA,

In the Am when come out of the garage its fine, but by the time I get to work, no spray, and again, when I leave work it sprays fine, but by the time I get home no spray.

I added some "no freeze" wiper solution to the tank, only got about 12 ounces before the tank was full. I think the dealer watered down what was in the tank prior to my purchase.

I tried to mix the new stuff in but it spray is still pretty clear looking, no blue tint yet to the fluid.

you could always add some extra rubbing alcohol (93%) or therabouts to help lower the freezing temp.

4. want_a_c

want_a_c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Actually I have a feeling that this is exactly what happened. At my regular service, the dealer refilled with the cheap fluid that will freeze at these temps. Now that you mention it, the spray isn't nearly as blue a sit should be (given that I bought the stuff that should be good to -20).

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, I specifically tell the dealer I don't want them doing anything other than what I specifically bring it in for. I don't want them re-adjusting my tire pressures, filling the washer fluid, washing the car to swirl it up etc.

At least this is just a minor annoyance right now because of the temps and easily remedied.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i've given some though to putting a siphon in the tank and sucking out some of the fluid... but in the grand scheme of things as long as the lines don't crack.

7. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I usually swap to a winter fluid when it gets colder, just buy one gallon of decent stuff and it should last you all winter. Depends on where you are getting your maintenance done though, the stuff from my last dealer was worthless in the winter, but what my Toyota dealer is using in the C has held up even in the crazy low temps this year.

8. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    In the winter I use the -21F fluid to avoid freezing.