1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windshield washer no pump sound

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Caldude805, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Caldude805

Caldude805 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried searching before posting but couldn’t find a thread.

My 2nd gen Prius windshield washer fluid stopped working on the front all of a sudden. I never use the back and noticed the back does not work either (maybe it broke a while ago or at the same time, I am not sure).

I don’t hear the sound of the pump so I replaced the fuses for the pump and wipers (even though wipers work fine). Still broken.

My best guess is the pump died but I’d like to ask the forum if anyone else has an idea what part is malfunctioning. Thanks

#1 Caldude805, Aug 24, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check the fuse...

3. Caldude805

Caldude805 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I replace the fuse already

4. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think there are two pumps, front and rear. Odd both failed. Are there two fuses?

5. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fluid in reservoir?

Reservoir outlet blocked?

The hose to/from pump is kinked or pinched somewhere?

12V getting to that pump?

Not sure if this applies here, but my Daughter-In-Law's Corolla came back from the body shop with nonworking windshield jets. Turns out that there is a 3 way plastic adapter (from pump, to left jet, to right jet) where the hoses had been reattached incorrectly. This adapter apparently has a backflow prevention valve, so when the hose from the pump was erroneously attached to a "to" port no fluid came out.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Happened on my 07 too. Both pumps failed. Replaced them with Toyota pumps.

I also by mistake swapped the rubber hoses by so the front and backs were swapped lol. So…..label each hose and plug position before removing them.

7. Caldude805

Caldude805 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Turns out the rear pump worked fine. Replaced the front pump with 3rd party pump from Amazon, super easy. The hardest part was removing the clip near the headlight. You are supposed to squeeze the tabs together and pull, I ended up just using a long flat head and popped it off. Cleaned the inside of the tank too, had some film buildup and both pump filter guards were pretty clogged. Everything works. Thanks for the help and the tip to label the hoses.

8. Rick 432

Rick 432 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the same issue with my washer pump. It suddenly stopped working and I had no idea if my back one was working. I think it is the pump but am not sure. I posted comment on my Prius today. If I get any positive information, I will pass it along. Good luck.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it getting 12v? is there a separate pump in back, or just a line from the front?