1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windshield Washer Nozzle Adjustment

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by StarCaller, Feb 11, 2015.

1. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    can I adjust them, like in other cars, with a needle or do I really have to buy one of the three toyota versions to get the spray a little bit higher?
    & what about the rear?

2. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    First I would have to assume that the 2010+ generation has basically the same equipment from year to year. Maybe slight differences or improvements, but basically the same. Looking at what I have on my 2011, the front sprayers are located below the hood lip. On my 2008 they were on the top edge of the hood and were carefully adjustable in the manner of which you speak. Insert a large sewing needle and carefully rotate the nozzle to aim where you want it to go. Then test and adjust. My 2011 nozzles are square plastic with some sort of internal fluid dynamics to cause the spray to oscillate back and forth. I don't see any opportunity for adjustment. Even the rear nozzle appears to be static although it does aim slightly toward the left-rear corner of the car, aimed toward the location of the rear wiper. The few times I have used the front washers I seem to get adequate windshield coverage. Explain a little more what you mean by the three Toyota versions. If you have a problem with insufficient spray volume it could be plugged nozzles, a restriction or leak in the hose between the nozzles and the washer fluid tank, or a problem with the pump. The pump sits at the bottom of the washer fluid tank, accessible from under the car at the right-front corner in the space ahead of the front wheel. Don't know for sure but usually these pumps have a small screen filter on the intake side which can get gummed up.

3. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    this are the 3 different versions

[​IMG]
    but it looks like I had already the +2 version installed by the factory....
    guess I have to live with it/
    [​IMG]

4. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    As I do also. Is it a problem with flow rate? Is it not wetting the wiper-swept portion of the glass? It could be something gunked up somewhere. I remember a Gen II thread about using the windshield washer system to discourage tailgaters. It could deliver a copious amount of fluid to the glass, and over-spray to the slipstream arriving on the windshield following too close behind in a fraction of a second. Very effective.

5. A_Man

A_Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also find that the spray seems to come in too low. I have a 2010 in Canada. Would love to be able to bump it up to mid windscreen if possible. ..

6. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    not gunked up; clean as a whistle.... :)

if it keeps annoying me, I might file off a 32nd or so of the plastic where it touches the hood/

7. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    There may be more than mechanical factors at play here. Maybe the age of the fluid in the tank and outside air temperature? Standard washer fluid has an alcohol antifreeze which I suppose eventually evaporates a little. The tank is such that you only keep adding fluid to keep it topped up and perhaps rarely or never flush the tank. Old, thickened fluid accumulates at the bottom of the tank and under freezing or below temperatures can gel and restrict the intake. Just guessing at all of this. I'll have to experiment with mine to see where it hits the glass. Not much call for me using my windshield washer at this time of year.

8. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just checked my nozzles - seems I have the 0° installed.
    They work OK - it always seemed they were low as they hit the windshield just barely above the wiper-at-rest position.
    If I am moving all the liquid does flow up the windshield - but stopped & using the washers forces the wiper blades to move the liquid over the whole windshield.