1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windshield Wiper Recommendations

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by 26Luv, Jun 3, 2016.

1. 26Luv

26Luv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My original wipers on my 2012 Prius v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon, not an uppercase v, that is for model year 2010 Prius only) were never that good, very streaky....so I bought a new pair at the dealership (they were pricey as expected) and they sucked too! I need a good recommendation on some wipers that are not gonna leave streaks and actually clear my windshield!

Also, when im defogging and driving in fog, or just light rain, my visibility is very poor. Takes quite some time for the windows to clear up using the vents, is this normal? Any tips?

Thank you.

2. fgp

fgp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    im a huge fan of rain x in general. im thinking (maybe) of getting some rain x wipers. dont know the price but do like the product

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe try an automotive glass cleaner? Something that really cuts through the film.

Our 2010 liftback at 60,000 kms, 5.5 years, on original wipers: no problems. It's garage stored, that might be a factor, for rubber preservation.

This is what I'm using, smells a bit like ether, yum:

image.jpeg

4. walldiver4

walldiver4 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I second the Rain-X suggestion. I've used the stuff for years with great results. Just be sure to follow the application instructions exactly as printed, and re-apply about twice a year.

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually recommends against Rain-X anything.
    There are some pretty good silicone blade refills that you should try.

As for fogging windows, if you use "auto" mode on the HVAC it will take care of most of that. But you do have a special button there just for that purpose too. It works pretty good for the front, not so much for the sides.

6. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    OEM wiper frames and inserts work as well as the various 'beam' wiper frames and inserts. What I find works best is to treat the windscreen, front windows, rear deck, and rear view mirror glass with Aquapel, at which point the wipers become essentially unnecessary.

Rain Repellent Glass Treatment - Aquapel Glass Treatment

7. TheRainman

TheRainman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yep - I know it's an old thread, but seeing as how I'm completely OCD about wipers and nobody mentioned what I have found to be the best, I figured I'd chime in.

I'm a huge fan of Bosch's Icon blades. When I brought home my 2017 Subaru STi last year, I stopped and bought a new set of Icon's at the auto parts store before it even made it in the garage. ALL of my vehicles use these wipers. They just work. Plain and simple. They will last a good while and last even longer if you maintain them, but like anything, when they stop working - get a new set.
    [​IMG]

Having said that - there's a couple things I do to assist the wipers.

1. CLEAN the windshield. Don't just use some spray cleaner like Windex. Clean it with denatured alcohol which is available at any home depot or hardware store. I've also had good results with using a clay bar (yes - the same thing you use to clean paint). It can pick up tiny bits of grime that get left behind. I've had good luck using those lint free microfiber rags you can find just about anywhere these days.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Now TREAT the windshield. For about the past 5 years or so, I've been using the Rain X 2 in 1 glass cleaner and treatment. It works great - provided that you are willing to put in a little elbow grease and really buff out the glass. It is essentially putting a clear wax on your windshield that you look through so if you just spray it on and give it a quick wipe, you'll wind up with streaks and all kinds of a mess. Take some time and use a clean microfiber rag to really buff it out. Do this in the shade and on a cooler glass surface for best results.
    [​IMG]

3. CLEAN your wipers. Regardless of what brand you use, they will get dirty. Most people don't think of it, but try taking your wiper off and examining it. Most of the time, you can actually see crud built up on the rubber wiper. Unless you clean it, when you go to use it, you're just smearing that stuff all over your glass. I use regular soap and water. NO ALCOHOL or harsh cleaners here. That stuff will dry out the rubber and lead to premature failure. I typically use those blue shop towels on a roll to just wipe down each side of the rubber strip. You'll see the crud on your towel. Run it down the wiper several times till the black stops coming off on your towel. I generally make a habit of cleaning the wipers when I wash the car.

[​IMG]

4. Use a good quality wiper fluid. There's a few brands here that work pretty well, but I'll just say - don't buy the $.99 cent a gallon "blue water" stuff if you want it to actually work. When I worked in Auto Parts back in the early 90's...that's what we called it because that's all it is. Just slightly colored water. All it's good for is wetting your windshield. The quality stuff is only like about $3.00 a jug and I don't use it too often so it lasts quite a while. The better quality fluid has a little mild soap and will do a better job of clearing bugs, etc.

Lastly - I'll mention that I've been buying my wiper blades off Amazon lately. I've found that they're generally a few bucks cheaper than the local auto parts store.

#7 TheRainman, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As noted above, I treat windshields with Aquapel rain repellant (aviation uses), which, like Rain-X, causes water to bead up and blow off, even at low speed. Much less wiper action required, although when you need them, I too find the Icons to be fine blades.

9. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I used to be an advocate of the "0000" steel-wool (dry) then Rain-X school (see youtube), then I found (also on youtube) something even better. Invisible Glass, then Clay Bar, then wax - the result is fantastic, and so far this year I've only needed to treat the glass on my 2009 Gen II twice! I use Rain-X "Latitude" wiper blades. :)

10. lrisius

lrisius Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm using PIAA silicone wipers that I got from Amazon and have been happy. They seem to be more flexible than rubber and do better. They come with a window treatment wipe that seems to be similar to Rain-X.

11. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I use rain-x washer fluid (from Walmart) with Bosch wipers. (y)