1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windshield Wipers 2013 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by LelaWessner, Apr 3, 2019.

1. LelaWessner

LelaWessner New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My new 2013 Prius started having really loud grinding noise about 2 years after I bought it. I took it in for repair and was told wiper motors were not covered in the warrantee. The noise stopped for a couple years. Now 6 years later my wipers are temperamental. I can’t tell when they might work and when they won’t. They might start and a couple miles down the road stop or possibly when lucky continue to work until I shut them off, one never knows. I can’t seem to correlate it with anything such as weather or amount of moisture on the windshield. When I first took it in they told me it would be $800+ to replace windshield motor. I said I will tolerate the noise but now it is dangerous to drive with no dependable wipers. Has anyone had this issue? Thank you in advance.

2. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Perhaps the service adviser was confused or inexperienced. Wiper blades are never covered by a warranty, but the motor should be.

3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    But, that doesn't matter today, she is out of warranty. Perhaps she could have pressed the issue while within the 3/36,000 period, not now.

4. Uberdriver2710

Uberdriver2710 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    $800 for a wiper motor? Did he give a breakdown of parts and labor? Seems like Lexus pricing.

5. LelaWessner

LelaWessner New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There was no misunderstanding about blades or motor. They knew it was the motor because we discussed labor and the fact they didn’t have a motor in the shop and it would need to be ordered.

Bottom line I won’t purchase another Toyota. This was my third and I love them but obviously their integrity is at question.

I was just curious if anyone else had issues with this. I live in Washington and you cant go too long without wipers!

6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can purchase a wiper motor assembly on eBay for cheap ($50-$80). If I were you, I would find an independent shop that is willing to help you out with the installation. It’s pretty much a repair that any shop can perform with a minimum of difficulty. J

Bay Stater likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Bay Stater, NutzAboutBolts and BZzap! like this.
  8. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’m assuming that when you first reported this problem, your car WAS in warranty. If you have or the dealer has your initial visit documented, you may contest their interpretation of warranty coverage. If this is the case, I would pursue a claim with a different dealer by explaining the situation. You never know unless you try. As a last resort, contacting Toyota directly might be worth the effort. After all, this is a safety issue that they should not have dismissed so absolute .

Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.