1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windshield wipers not activating straight away

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by JohnRobinson, Sep 18, 2014.

1. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi all

Curios problem with my car. When I spray washer fluid quickly the wipers do not start. I can literally empty litres of fluid on the windshield and they still will not activate. Now on other cars I have had you can play chicken and pull quickly on the lever and this I can do a off a couple of times without activating the wipers but not constantly. I had it in for service and the mechanic said he has never seen this problem before and does not even know how to fix it. So any ideas anyone out there? It does get annoying that you have to waste a lot more fluid to activate the wipers "auto" function by holding it on a few seconds longer than needed.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

John

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if they don't know how to fix it, they have to call toyota. the issue is proxy a circuit board, but it could be in the stalk. try another dealer, that's one of the more ridiculous answers i've heard.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    On mine a quick squirt does not start the wipers. Sometimes I will do the quick spray a few times first when the windshield is really dirty to avoid dragging dry blades across and risking scratches. It also allows the fluid to soak for a period if desired. If I hold it for an extra second it does start the wiper motor.

kithmo likes this.
  4. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    ^^^^ What RJ said ^^^^

5. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Ditto, I found it a bit annoying at first but I've gotten used to it.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep....the delay is pretty much how mine works.

And I've never felt it was a defect or flaw.

Sometimes I might end up with more fluid on my windshield than I want or need, BUT the alternative or converse is worse.

Wipers activating early, or with a dry windshield with debris on it, can lead to scratching the glass. I'd much rather waste a few ounces of fluid, than end up with a scratched windshield.

7. nsfbr

nsfbr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The OP seems to have a situation that is somewhat different than the one experienced by the responding posters, in that he can "can literally empty litres of fluid on the windshield and they still will not activate." If this were the good old days that would sound like a bad resistor or capacitor (probably a leaky capacitor) in a simple delay circuit. It may be that is still the case. The problem that I see is in knowing where that part is and how to get it (the capacitor) replaced instead of the typical dealer/manufacturer approach of replacing the board that carries it. The part is probably 50 cents at most in quantity 1. So, you really do want to have the dealer help you getting the needed infor from Toyota. Then you can probably replace it yourself if you can learn how to get to it. It will probably be a surface mount part, but that shouldn't be an issue.

I'd help you out and do it for you if you got me to Norway somehow :)

8. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I think he may be exaggerating a little with "litres of fluid". Although it is probably only around a second delay, it does seem a long time when you are travelling quickly with a dirty screen.