1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Windy road, do frequent switches between B and D hurt anything?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by mudworm, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Whether by Toyota design or not, I think B is typically needed when you're on a long downhill, with lots of the same to come, enough that the car will fully charge the battery, cease charging and relegate braking needs completely to the friction brakes, long before you reach the bottom, long enough that there's a danger of brake overheating. The car has no means of making that judgement, doesn't know the topography ahead.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  2. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Yeah I agree.

Pixel 2 ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Gen 4 has automatic hill keep assist...

kithmo likes this.
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    B mode is required by US law.

CFR2 011 title49 vol6 sec571.102 S3.1.2 Transmission braking effect. In vehicles having more than one forward transmission gear ratio, one forward drive position shall provide a greater degree of engine braking than the highest speed transmission ratio at vehicle speeds below 40 kilometers per hour (25 miles per hour).

In use, you can shift to B from the very top of hills that will need B by the bottom. This will keep both the brakes and battery cooler.

N is also required by US law, but I have no real reason to ever use N.

CFR2 011 title49 vol6 sec571.102 S3.1.1 Location of transmission shift positions on passenger cars. A neutral position shall be located between forward drive and reverse drive positions.

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/pdf/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-sec571-102.pdf

#24 JimboPalmer, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe..., not that long from now, with the built-in navigation, it will know the topography ahead, how much of an elevation change is coming, and be able to make judgement call regarding B mode. One thing, it still wouldn't know your destination: are you carrying on for miles, or are you likely to stop soon, say even just at a viewpoint.

Right now, seems pretty onerous that the driver needs to make such judgement, it's an odd scenario. A conventional vehicle, with engine constantly running, it's a lot easier to use engine braking, all the way down. The Prius OTOH, quickly becomes fully charged, and without intervention (shifting to B) will become almost freewheeling, requiring protracted leaning on the friction brakes.

#25 Mendel Leisk, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True - though only in forward direction. Other manufacturers use it in reverse as well.

Many days I use "N" briefly. When I park, I have 2 paving bricks marking where my front wheels should be - any closer forward and I can't open my door properly, too far back I can't open the hatch without it hitting - I've got about a 3" leeway. But if I feel that I've touched the pavers, I put it in "N" and let it roll back so the wheels aren't forced against the pavers all night. Maybe a bit OCD - but I believe some tyres have a memory, at least till they've warmed up.

#26 alanclarkeau, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is the one scenario I'll use Neutral, when parking pointing uphill, and rolling the back of the front tires into gentle/natural contact with the curb:

upload_2018-7-17_6-31-21.png

Sometimes I forget and use Reverse, works out, but Neutral is definitely better.

Tideland Prius, RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  8. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And it WILL......if the cruise is ON.
    Is there really an "angle sensor" ?
    I highly doubt it.

IF.....your car ever completely stalls out in the middle of traffic......you might find it very useful !!

#28 sam spade 2, Jul 17, 2018
  9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Third gen's with LED headlights have an inclination sensor, mounted on the rear cross beam. Fourth gen I think they eliminated it.

Still, I don't see this being useful: you don't want or need the car switching to B every time there's a downhill, only when there's an extremely protracted downhill. And there's the rub I think: the car doesn't have ESP, know the road ahead, how far you're going.

10. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Yes. Several. Alarm, both headlights (in locations with automatic headlight leveling), and very precise accelerometers in each airbag that can determine angles. Not used for anything other than their own systems though.

Pixel 2 ?

11. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When B Mode is engaged regen is always used on overrun, but when the battery cannot safely accept more charge, excess voltage is used to turn the ICE without combustion taking place.

It's not just US law that requires B Mode. It's a Toyota feature in all Gen 4 sales territories. The protocol is to have a sort of low gear in automatic gearboxes. I can remember when they used to feature P-N-D-L-R or P-N-D-1-2-R on the shifters.

12. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Someone at Toyota was too honest to call it L, it would have saved a great deal of discussion if they had.

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I think we are evaluating "B" mode as it exists today...in the vehicles, and speculating as to what it could be designed to be tomorrow.

I think the biggest stumbling block or hurdle to any "automatic" B mode system, is that Toyota pretty much recommends using "B" mode for long inclines down extended hills or mountains. IMO it's NOT downshifting, in the traditional ICE manual transmission manner.

It's an "option" because users are suppose to evaluate the situation and implement as appropriate.

While you could probably create sensors and a system that could evaluate the immediate conditions that would make "B" mode preferable, what I think is near impossible would be evaluating the road ahead as a whole.
    How would any system know if this is a momentary rolling hill? Or an extended down the big hill or mountain drive?

I never used "B" mode, as the OP in this thread has...for me it was always only on pretty long, down hill stretches, where downhill gravity and momentum was going to be maintained for extended time.
    I think it would be pretty challenging, to design an automatic system capable of making that decision.
    Challenging but maybe not impossible.

It might be better and easier just to keep explaining to people exactly what B mode is, and how to use it.

When I was shopping/looking at Prius, I played dumb, because I already knew, from experience here, and asked my salesman what the "B" was on the selector.

He gave me a very confident sounding but entirely fictional description of an Inspector Gadget like choice, that supposedly could be used whenever you felt like charging your battery.

I didn't bother correcting him.

Did I ever say it didn't?

#33 The Electric Me, Jul 18, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I agree with that assessment regarding the role of "B", only: Toyota actually says next to nothing on suitable times to use "B". The lore we've built up is through hands-on experience, mostly here at Priuschat I'd think.

This is from page 174 of my 2010 Prius Owner's Manual, US/CDN edition:

upload_2018-7-18_6-57-23.png

And really, that's ALL they say, pretty cryptic.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, now that you post it, that is the vague description I remember.
    And Toyota's "Fill In The Empty Spaces" approach, does lead to the questioning, and "personal" definitions and approaches to usage that keep re-appearing.

Bottom line, for me personally, I only used B in long down hill situations.

nednvermont and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rolls Royce - 5+ years ago
    upload_2018-7-19_10-23-25.png

As an aside - I've been going to ask what does the wind have to do with it? I haven't found my PRIUS all that sensitive to cross winds or head winds compared with other cars I've had. Winding roads - yes!!

RCO, The Electric Me and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen 4 is similar:
    upload_2018-7-19_10-30-14.png

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. mudworm

mudworm Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, you totally got me!

One thing I'll say... this stretch of my commute is absolutely beautiful. When I had my previous vehicle (Honda CR-V), I would just let the car cruise on the smooth mountain road. It was relaxing and it was meditative. Now? I admit I'm constantly glancing at that Energy Monitor and acting on cue. Maybe it's the new hybrid owner syndrome. I feel that every drive of mine now is like a video game. I'm having a lot of fun, but there is no more unwinding on the winding road!

RCO likes this.
  19. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll soon get over the "watching the Energy Monitor" mode. If I'm bored, I'll put it up again. Or if someone is in the car who is new to hybrids.

RCO likes this.
  20. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's you and me both. My previous car was a CR-V also. My Prius is now agreed 22 months and I'm still enchanted by the energy monitor. No collisions while driving yet either! :sneaky:

krmcg and alanclarkeau like this.