1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wine Talk

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by larkinmj, Mar 19, 2007.

1. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Don’t have a favorite but among the best I’ve drank were:

Chateau Lassalle 1970
    Beaujolais – Villages 1988
    Saint Emilion 1961
    Bernard Grivelet 1972
    Dom Perignon 1970
    Porto 1963 – Vintage Port

Unfortunately with Lipitor in my diet :angry: I have to limit, and I hate it, my alcohol intake :angry: :angry:

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Mar 20 2007, 12:37 PM) [snapback]408966[/snapback]</div>
    also have a gun permit. my dad was a Capt. US Army [Reserves] - qualified sniper so guns were never a big deal to me. love firing them at only targets - nothing living. I could never top my pop though.

in any event - i do NOT like fighting fighting - avoid it at all costs. i just love the physical contact and the knowledge (i have done other martial arts too - but they mostly tend to be non-contact whereas Krav Maga is full contact) that i can probably do ok if i have to get into it with people - also the knowledge to never get into that situation since there is never a clear cut winner (true for most things in life).

anyway, i enjoy the politcial banter with you and most of the others here - sometimes i think we take ourselves toooo seriously :D we can and have gotten along for so long and it is my belief that we all share common wants and desires for ourselves and families - we just approach how we get there differently.

have a nice day and i am still working on the wine stuff.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Mar 20 2007, 08:51 AM) [snapback]408933[/snapback]</div>
    The Mayo Clinic web site offers advice along the following lines:

While there is some evidence that very moderate alcohol consumption might have some beneficial efficts, there is massive evidence of the harmful effects of alcohol. Therefore:

While they do not advocate strict avoidance of alcohol, they believe that a person who does not drink is better off continuing to not drink, because the harmful effects probably outweigh the beneficial effects for most people. This should be no surprise. All medicines have harmful effects. Only a doctor can assess, on an individual basis, if a given medicine is worth the harm it causes or might cause.

A doctor who advocates alcohol, across the board, to all his patients, is clearly running contrary to the views of the Mayo Clinic. And I trust the Mayo Clinic more than I trust any one individual doctor.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Mar 20 2007, 09:56 AM) [snapback]408992[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with this.

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Mar 20 2007, 02:10 PM) [snapback]409042[/snapback]</div>
    That all makes sense to me. And one thing I would never suggest is that someone who doesn't drink do so. I would suspect that such a person would be more likely to become an alcoholic, for one thing.
    Anyway- I will leave the medical advice to the real doctors here! :)

5. MacDude

MacDude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Mar 20 2007, 04:34 AM) [snapback]408859[/snapback]</div>
    Hehe. I live about a 5 minute walk from the Bonny Doon Tasting room. :D

Their Muscat is very good, as is their Raspberry Framboise. :)

Of course many of their wines are good. It's quite an eclectic collection.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Mar 20 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]409062[/snapback]</div>

It depends upon the wine :D

Anyhow, thats why I started taking the active ingredient from red wine in pill form.

take care

7. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I'm always on the look out for reasonably-priced, nice drinking reds. And I've found that Spanish wines often fill the bill. On the advice of my friend who works at the local wine shop, I recently tried the 2005 Vina Alarba Old Vines Grenache. Parker gave a previous vintage a 90 and Wine Spectator called it a best buy. I find this a very pleasant wine to drink; it has a lot of fruit (plums, berries, etc.) and goes well with a variety of foods. My local store sells it for $9 a bottle.

8. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Mar 22 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]410106[/snapback]</div>
    thanks

i have like wines from oliverhill - their shiraz was just rated 96 by parker - unfortunately the price as gone up to reflect the increased rating - $34/bottle.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Mar 22 2007, 07:15 AM) [snapback]410106[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't mind finding a reasonably-priced, nice redhead, preferably not a drinking one, but if she drinks nicely (moderately) I wouldn't object. Spanish women are among the most beautiful in the world, but they're more often dark than red, due to the half-milennium Moorish occupation...

Oh, you meant wine???? :rolleyes:

10. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's one of my favorite wines (yes, I actually own this):

Attached Files:

11. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Anything in a box. :D Seriously, I'm developing a taste for certain styles. My introduction to Port was a success and I enjoy a tot of Madeira on occasion. The rest I don't like much. I prefer a quality beer any day.