1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winow Tint

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by okmatthew, Jan 13, 2010.

1. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    California Window Tint Law - TintCenter.com

No tint will be legal on the front side windows of a Prius, as they are tinted to the law already. Toyota advises againist metallic tints.
    See page 306 in the Appendix of the 2010 Prius Navigation System Owner's Manual, which states:

"The installation of window tinting may obstruct the GPS signals. Most window tinting contains some metallic content that will interfere with GPS signal reception of the antenna in the instrument panel. We advise against the use of window tinting on vehicles equipped with navigation systems."

If you don't tint the windshield or front side windows, I doubt it will effect the GPS, as it is in the dash.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it enhances the reflectivity of your windows then it is also illegal in CA. :(

3. SDM44

SDM44 SeƱor Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI, I had my tint done today. 35% all around (on 8 windows) and then 50% on the windshield (like my other cars have). Since the windshield is slanted so much, the 50% actually looks darker than the 35% so I immediately ripped it off when I got home. I might do 70% on the windshield for some added heat rejection, but for now I'm going to leave it as is.

The 35% all around is pretty dark already with the dark leather interior. If I went any darker on the sides, it would've been a lot more noticable and harder to see out at night. Since I won't have time to wash the car until next weekend, or let alone take any daytime pics since I'll be busy with work, I can take some pics next weekend of it if anyone wants to see it for comparason (35% on a black Prius with charcoal interior).

1 person likes this.
  4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, I had 35% smoke all around in a previous car and never got cited in the 10 years I had it, but it was on untinted glass. The Prius is already tinted ~75% in the factory glass so your 35% is more like 25% tint and may not be equivalent to your previous cars. I plan to do 50% all around for an aggregate of 37.5% for this reason.

Do post pics when you have a chance.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dodey23

Dodey23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just got 20% all around (not windshield) on my black prius. I have tan interior so it doesn't seem as dark.

I had limo on my last car, never had an issue with it, just roll your windows down when you get pulled over. I lived in Arizona and the cooling effect alone was wonderful. But subjectively, it also felt safer and quieter in the car. Not to mention the AZ heat was destroying my seats, there was a significant difference with the tint.

6. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I paid $99 plus tax for the full tint job. Has anyone found a lower price than that?

7. Mr. Prius

Mr. Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's a great price. Is that the place in Elyria? Name? Was it guaranteed ? Any peeling? Was % did you get?

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    All windows including those 4 tiny ones for $125 tax included so I'm pretty close. Established local glass/tint company that also tints for local car dealers. Gulf States Toyota charges $299+ tax

I added my own "limo grade" eye brow for $9; removable static cling type from an auto parts store.