1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter 12v strategy

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by James1964, Dec 5, 2018.

1. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Cold temperatures are NOT detrimental to a battery's longevity; quite the opposite in fact.
    They will temporarily lose a bit of capacity WHILE cold but will recover once it warms up.

Using a battery tender is not a bad idea for long periods on non use but a little cold weather is not a good reason.
    Since a hybrid doesn't use a conventional 12 V starter, that little loss of capacity isn't missed.

Won't hurt anything but won't accomplish anything either.

2. TomB985

TomB985 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I have to agree with Sam. If things are functioning properly, there should not be enough parasitic draw on the battery to cause issues when sitting in the middle of winter. That little battery just needs enough juice to start the system, and the HV battery takes care of the rest.

My car sat for a few weeks before I purchased it in November, the last two of which were some of the coldest we've seen here in Minnesota. It had the original battery from 2006 when I replaced it preemptively a couple of months ago. But if the battery tender buys you peace of mind, it's a worthwhile investment.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have seen many weak 12 volt batteries bite the dust on a cold night. maintaining the charge can prevent that if you aren't interested in buying a new one

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes and.......if the night was VERY cold, those batteries might have some useful life left in them.
    But more than likely they are mostly SHOT and that is your clue that they need to be replaced.

That is especially true for a hybrid where the 12 V system doesn't need much amperage to boot up.

Improper use of a tender/maintainer can ensure that when it's time does come, your battery will finally fail out on the road somewhere away from the comfort of your own garage.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll stick with regular hook up to a smart charger, periodic assessment with an electronic load tester, and replacement say every 5 years, regardless of condition.