1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter and the Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by johnhlong, Oct 24, 2013.

1. johnhlong

johnhlong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2013 Prius C2 and live in Utah.
    I do not have a garage so the car will be outside all winter.

Temperatures here will drop below freezing and sometimes below zero at night.
    There have been weeks on record when the temperature didn't even get above zero. :whistle:

Should I be thinking about getting a battery heater and/or a block heater?

John

2. KYBlue

KYBlue Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Block heater is awesome, for no other reason that quicker heat! I'm only in KY, its been about freezing here nightly and it makes a world of difference for the engine shutting off quicker and heat starting quicker.

3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That's up to you. The car will be fine without it, but your MPGs will take a hit and as mentioned by KYBlue, you will get heat quicker if you get one.

4. Phil 29 Palms CA

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I live in the Mojave desert. My lowest winter temperature is about 25 degrees F. How much sq. ft. area can I block without the fear of overheating my engine and damaging it?

5. riban

riban Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A

I would say "No" I'm in Ontario Canada and we have already experienced a few days of below zero temperatures (Celsius -5). Anyways the C showed no signs of any issues, it did take awhile to heat up so the gas engine ran a little longer than usual but with say 5-7 minutes the car was nice and warm and running as usual.

6. RikMoore

RikMoore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any problems with your C shutting off after getting to 14mph and not apparently engaging the gas engine.