1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter blues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by orenf, Oct 5, 2007.

1. orenf

orenf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    About a week ago temperatures dropped from mid 50's/60's to high 40's/low 50's.

My MPG dropped from ~54 to mid 40's. I had a "non-hybrid-friendly" weekend - lots of short rides, due to rain and cold, resulting in 42MPG. I'm slowly working my way up again, but I seriously doubt I'll make it to 50. The tipping point seems to have been 55 degrees. One day all was well, the next day the gas engine was engaged as soon as I turned the car on, for longer, even during long stretches of regen. No to mention stretches of gas engine on when idle (am I better off turning the car off, and starting it again when the light changes?).

So... combination of cold weather, and more short trips (as a result of cold/wet weather) = less than spectacular MPG.

--- Oren

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    already? oye. My last tank was 4.2L/100km (57mpg). I'm currently sitting at 4.3L/100km (55mpg) down from 4.6L/100km (51mpg) this morning.

Take advantage of today and Monday. The weekend rain will put a damp on our mileage.

3. ACORNBLUES

ACORNBLUES New Member

Do you have the option of plugging in an EBH at home? Have you tried stuffing your grill?

4. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I got my EBH in on Monday, and started using it right away. It really helps. My top grill is already blocked, but since I got my SGII yesterday I feel more comfortable blocking the upper part of the lower grill as soon as this hot spell is over. Keep checking tire pressures since they drop in colder weather - I think 1 lb for every 10 degrees or so. I was also burdened with mostly short trips this week - only 52.2 for this tank fill. If you're not already doing these little tweaks you might want to add them. Only 5 more months until spring ( I hate winter ).

5. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Damn cold weather, I'm trading in for an 08 so I don't have to look at that damn snowflake light LOL.

6. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(orenf @ Oct 5 2007, 04:38 PM) [snapback]521951[/snapback]</div>
    Same story for me last winter here in Wisconsin. I was able to stay above 45 or so (for a full tank) until it was below zero Fahrenheit. I certainly wouldn't turn the engine off and back on when you're stopped... for one thing, the engine is trying to get warm so it's more efficient (do you really want to fight with that?), and you'd also put yourself through another stage-1 warmup on that restart, which pulls a ton of power out of your battery while the engine basically just idles (search for the engine stages here if you're really interested in that sort of thing).

7. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tell me about it. Temps suddenly dropped into the 30s at night here and the weather forecast is predicting 20s by the end of the week. As of October 1st I fully blocked the radiator openings and started using the EBH. Yesterday I installed my snow wheels/tires. In the first couple minutes of the drive I could already tell I had more rolling resistance.

:(

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    When I got my new winter capable tires last week I reset the mileage meter. Now I'm struggling to keep it under 4.9 l/100 km. Got both grills blocked, and I park in a well insulated unheated garage (currently about 10C in there), but I don't drive every day, so after the first overnight the coolant temp now falls to 40C or lower, and after the second overnight of no use, it's down to ambient. I didn't realize how much the anti-Prius (2001 Pathfinder) heated my garage! The Prius doesn't heat it much at all. I don't use the block heater, as I can't really predict when I'm going to use the car, and I'm too cheap to leave it plugged in all the time.

The downside of not spending much on fuel. ;)

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Crap... the weekend rain + short trips + one highway trip took a toll on my mileage.

My upper grille is already blocked. Went fro 4.2L/100km to 4.9L/100km. Temps are 10-15°C (give or take a few degrees)