1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter Driving

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by lar.smith42, Nov 1, 2016.

1. lar.smith42

lar.smith42 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting article !!!!

Other than the palpable reduction of fuel economy that accompanies cold, wintry weather the other most common topic in Prius chat rooms seems to evolve around the winter driving experience itself. Specifically, “How does a smaller car like a Prius handle in the snow?” Comments are all over the board, ranging from those who claim the Prius is one of the best front-wheel drive small cars they have ever driven in snow to those who say it’s nearly useless in the stuff. The majority of the folks commenting on traction issues (pro or con) in these forums own the Gen II Prius (2004-2009 model years).

[​IMG]Even a small hybrid sedan has the potential to do well on snow and ice. Hybrids, like the Prius, tend to be front-wheel drive (FWD) vehicles. While not as sure-footed in snow as all-wheel drive, front-wheel drive cars have the advantage over their rear-wheel drive counterparts in that the heaviest part of the car — in this case the Hybrid Drive System, is on top of the drive wheels. This helps to push the drive wheels down through the snow and gives them better grip. Because electric motors are more efficient at distributing torque than internal combustion engines the hybrid has an additional advantage in the snow. It is precisely due to this huge amount of torque from the electric motor that traction control technology is applied to hybrids. The purpose of the system is to prevent wheel slip and loss of traction. Because electric motors provide maximum torque from 0 rpm, on slippery roads the wheels spin easily–whereupon the traction control promptly brakes the spinning wheel. The result, owners say, is halting vehicle acceleration with an accompanying beeping sound from the skid alert as the wheels lose traction, are slowed down and stabilized; then the cycle repeats itself as the car slowly digs itself out of a traction loss.

Spinning tires are never a good thing. Loss of grip may cause safety issues and will definitely increase tire wear. Traction control helps prevent all that. Brute force is not the most effective method of getting through snow anyway. A slow and powerful dig is what traction control is designed to provide. Like many other aspects of driving the Prius — the vehicle prompts some re-learning. Putting the pedal to the floor in a Prius is the last thing you want to do, especially when there is a loss of traction due to a slippery surface.

Beginning with the Gen III Prius (2010) the Traction Control system (TRAC) was re-designed, along with 90 per cent of the hybrid drive components in the Prius. In previous models, mostly from 2004 to 2009 (Gen II), the electric motor design had more torque (295 ft. lbs.) and as a result, the TRAC system was more aggressive, cutting power (throttle) at the mere hint of wheel spin. TRAC in the Gen III Prius functions more like any other Toyota (not the Gen II Prius) in that it does not cut out all torque (throttle) in a slip condition. Instead, TRAC in the current Prius will try to provide adequate torque (by utilizing a more powerful 80 hp electric motor, but with 153 ft. lbs. of torque) to maximize friction between the wheel and the road. Without going into too much detail, Toyota engineers simply moved traction control responsibility from the hybrid system control unit to the skid control ECU (electronic control unit). As a result, the skid control ECU instantly determines the state of the vehicle when wheel slippage is detected and operates the brake actuator to apply braking to the slipping wheel. At the same time, the skid control ECU initiates cooperative control with power management (the hybrid drive system) in order to adjust motive force. In this way the TRAC system in the Gen III Prius can constantly maintain stable vehicle traction and minimize wheel slippage.
    A hybrid like the Prius (with a ground clearance of 5.25 inches) handles snowy conditions just fine. The misconception is that more clearance is needed. Most urban and suburban roads are plowed before accumulation of that depth occurs. In fact, you can always drive through piles deeper than that anyway!

[​IMG]If you have traction issues more demanding than normal winter driving, just upgrade to a more aggressive snow and ice tire. The factory mounted all-season tires on the Prius are a good choice for most drivers. More aggressive snow and ice tires do involve an efficiency penalty (and they are usually noisy, too) but their better road gripping ability is an acceptable trade off for some hybrid owners. The traction on any vehicle could be improved with a more aggressive tire. To that end, many Prius owners with unique challenges during their winter driving cycles have upgraded to heavier snow and ice tires such as the Bridgestone Blizzaks or the Nokian Hakkapeliitta RS which are both great winter tires. But for the rest of us, the factory tires and the TRAC system on the Gen III Prius work just fine for basic winter conditions. The Prius can handle the winter weather. Cold weather and slippery driving conditions present challenges for all vehicles, but the hybrid system in the Prius is well-equipped to deal with them!

Spaahrky, PriusNeckBeard and kc410 like this.
  2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I have a Prius gen3. We shift to winter tires every October. We routinely drive in 8inches of loose snow without any problems. In mid-winter, once the rivers and lakes freeze over, we also drive on ice a lot. We enjoy how well the Prius handles.

lar.smith42 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i try to restrict my winter driving to florida.:cool:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hmm, where did you find this article?

The Gen 2 picture is @john1701a 's Prius IIRC and the Gen 3 Prius is @spiderman 's car.

spiderman likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's strange, going from our OEM 215/45R17 Michelin Pilot HX mxm4, to steel rim mounted 195/65R15 Michelin X-Ice2, our mpg doesn't skip a beat. Testament to what pigs the Pilots are? :oops:

6. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Without reading all of the above, here's my 2 cents. Keep in mind that where I live we don't get heavy snowfall w/accumulation that often.

The Prius has done well for the most part. If you KNOW how to DRIVE on snow and ice, you can manage with most any vehicle with some accumulation. You know to watch out for banked roads (where gravity can make you slide sideways) and to watch how you accelerate and brake. ABS has it's own quirks, and the Prius traction-control can be an issue to account for as well.

FWDs do well overall due to the amount of weight on the drive wheels. I'd not risk taking the Prius out if you know there's more than six inches of accumulation and you will be on roads that may not have been cleared during the night/day. I live in a rural area, and our road, while paved, is low-priority for snow clearing. So, if I can tell our road has been plowed (or if I see a plow go by), I know all the other roads I need will have been cleared for driving. When in doubt, I take the pickup truck. :D

Bluegrassman likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah deep snow is the great leveler. Doesn't matter your tires, which ones are driven, if they're barely reaching the road.

8. Jimi1976

Jimi1976 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've actually been impressed with the Prius in snow. Up to 3" that is....I'd say worthless/dangerous over that (along with all 2WD vehicles).
    We are fortunate that our other family car is a Subaru Outback. Bought it new in 2005.....never been stuck, ever. Had snow over the hood in over 2 ft of wet/heavy blizzard snow. She just goes

9. lar.smith42

lar.smith42 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lar.smith42 likes this.
  11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All I would say, is that in usually pretty mild winter conditions in an urban environment, The Prius was the only vehicle I ever owned that I really felt Snow Tires were a MUST.

Nearly any snow and ice on the ground, and I just felt The Prius wasn't very good. The low rolling resistance tires, The regenerative brakes, and the IMO very aggressive traction control system, tuned to protect the electric motors, coupled with the instant torque...which is something you often really DON'T want in snow or ice, of the electric motors- all combined to make The Prius IMO simply NOT the best choice.

That's not to say with good Snow/Winter tires The Prius can't be perfectly serviceable.
    But to elevate it to saying it's actually "good" in comparison to vehicles equipped with All-Wheel drive?
    Or in my opinion just a standard ICE front wheel drive vehicle?

I know because I've read the threads, that many of you report to use The Prius with great success in very severe winter conditions. I don't doubt you all have the skill and perhaps the adaptive tools of great snow tires to make this possible.

But in general if you asked me if The Prius was a "good" winter vehicle, I'd just have to say...it wouldn't be my choice, if severe winter driving conditions were a part of a majority of my driving.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's so vague, it's difficult to even respond. What tires? The Michelin Energy A/S tires on my gen-3 (PHV) have worked fine in the snow, here in Minnesota. We get quite a variety of winter driving conditions too. Those are all-season tires, not snows. Ice, Dry, Wet there's all kinds of mess to deal with here.

I suppose if you are dealing with deep snow or unplowed roads routinely, or have the need to climb a steep hill or driveway, I could see the need. But there most definitely isn't a "must" recommendation from the driving I see here.

13. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have learned to just back away from the debate about Prius in severe winter conditions.
    As those that think the Prius is wonderful in snow and ice, will defend it like a Pitbull that just stumbled upon a rare dropped steak.

With all due respect...I don't think I'm being vague at all.
    I think in any severe winter condition the Prius really NEEDS snow tires. I would recommend running The Prius in winter with a good set.

If you have had success with Michelin All-Season tires, in Minnesota? Well like I said, what can I say that is going to change your mind? Michelin makes a high quality tire, and maybe you're just an excellent driver. I'll concede my evaluation was coming from a 2013 Gen 3 on OEM Goodyear Fuel Max...which IMO were horrible on snow and ice. I would speculate Michelin All-Season tires might be simply a much better base tire.

My opinion remains unchanged. Instant torque...Regenerative Brakes, IMO aggressive traction control, simply combine to make The Prius less than the ideal winter vehicle. And I felt to really use it consistently in the winter condition...read...snow and ice...not dry and wet...a set of good winter tires was nearly a must.

I think you should be preparing in the winter for the worst. You know, prepare for the worst, expect the best. So if you are going to say "I suppose if you are dealing with deep snow or unplowed roads routinely, or have the need to climb a steep hill or driveway, I could see the need."
    Then I think that underlines my contention that with a Prius snow tires in the winter are a VERY, VERY, good idea. Even if they aren't personally in your estimation a "must".

#13 The Electric Me, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When I read John's post about all-seaons in Minnesota, it strengthens my suspicion that there is an inverse relation between the need for snow tires, and the willingness to get them, lol. Maybe our very sporadic west coast snow dumps are worse then steady, day in, day out snowy cold conditions? do not know.

I am staring to wonder why I've got snows, out here. Yesterday it got up to 19C, 66F. One of those unusual Pacific Ocean phases?? It is supposed to get a little closer to zero, about a week hence.

15. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, consider that not all snow/ice driving is equal.

Someplace where it falls and compacts is very different than a place where you get snowfall that will eventually melt away. The fresh stuff poses more of a problem because it plugs up the tread of your tire so you're running on slicks. Compact snow/ice is just a hard surface with a much lower friction coefficient.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, you have different type of snow conditions depending on which part of the country you're in. And different conditions once said snow falls on the ground (does it melt? compact? get mixed with rain?)

I haven't needed to use my WRG3 for its snow/ice potential since I got them. It's been so mild. Yet when I had my Nokian R winters, they were definitely put to good use through snow, compacted snow, ice (both from melted-refrozen snow and freezing rain) as well as bare ground and sub zero temps.

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The problem is "severe" to you may be just an ordinary day for me. My cousin moved from Minnesota to Oregon and experienced that firsthand. We drive through much more difficult conditions, but learn from lots of exposure. Winters are long & harsh here.

It's not just driving skill either. Weather varies from state to state. Plowing service does too.

Whatever the case, I simply don't see the need. There's a benefit, but that upgrade certainly isn't required for winters in Minnesota.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not to be a pit bull with a steak, I'm just wondering, especially for the benefit of other readers who might be new to the Prius, why the so repeated emphasis on the "instant" electric motor torque, as if it were something there's no control over?

The go pedal can be pushed as heavily or lightly as you want. In most cases when driving in snow or ice somebody doesn't think I'll get through, I do it by using minimal torque, which is a very easily controllable range in a Prius (compared to conventional cars, where at that lowest-power, lowest-torque range, you're fussing to avoid bogging the engine, trying to feather the clutch, etc.).

Granted, I would like it if the Prius allowed modulating torque all the way down to zero (instead of pretending to be an ordinary automatic transmission with a small torque output all the time). That would be a really cool "can't do that in your conventional car!" feature. But I've never noticed that "creep" preset to be any more than the real "creep" torque in an old-fashioned automatic....

-Chap

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "instant torque" is shortened from "maximum torque available from 0 rpm".

Basically describing the feeling of having all the available torque from the electric motor within the first 1000 or 2000rpm without having to wait for the engine to spool up like a regular non-hybrid vehicle.

The Electric Me likes this.
  20. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This answers it better than I can.