1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter snow tires or not?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tynyyn, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Tynyyn

Tynyyn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I live in an area of the US where there might be one week of the year where the roads are treacherous. I like front wheel drive cars for driving on slick surfaces. But I've yet to drive a Prius on snow or ice. My question is can I put chains on the front tires of my Prius or would studded tires be a better option? I drive one way to work on narrow two lane curvy back roads. Which option would be the best for this type of road?

Thanks.

2. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    1100' elevation.
    I'd think Michelin defenders a m+s all season tires would be great year round, excellent in rain, 90,000 mile life and shop around able.

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I lived 15 years in NW Ohio. Before that it was five in the Denver area. Never used snow tires. Only all season tires and (if needed) chains on the mountain passes. I drove in lots of snow and ice lots lots of times. Even drove all the way across Iowa in an ice storm and got around in Sioux City with about 16" of fresh snow. That was pre-Prius, but also mostly in rwd cars. Some was in a Taurus which was fwd.

Never got stuck bad enough to need help. If I lived in the mountains where there are heavy snows and steep roads, I think I'd want a 4wd like I had when I lived on a very muddy island until recently.

HPrimeAdvanced and dubit like this.
  4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Snow chains as you probably already know have a speed limit of 30 MPH if I remember correctly. If you need to go faster than that in the snow then the tires will be more appropriate.

If you decide to go with snow chain-like devices may I direct you to look at the Peerless Super Z6 product.

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Actually, I am not familiar enough with studded tires to know if they have the same speed limitations, so my apologies on that!

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Chain and studded tires for 1 week of real winter road sound overkill IMO. How much snow are you talking about? Chain is no good on ice, and if I expect I would need chain for heavy snow, I would not venture out to road. That said, having a set of tire chain for winter emergency may not be a bad idea. Studded tires are very good on icy road, but it will be very noisy and uncomfortable, and of course, very taxing on mpg. Unless you are willing to do tire swap yourself, it is not a very temporary thing like chains. If I were you, I would just drive good all season tire with good snow/ice grip and make sure you have plenty of tread left, 6/32 minimum. I did not buy snow tire last year for my brand new Prius Prime that came with eco tires of marginal snow/ice tractions. I did fine for 4 month of real winter roads. But now with tread getting down to 7/32 already, I invested in Michelin Xice3 (studless snow) for this winter.

#6 Salamander_King, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  7. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Studded snow tires are Illegal in most states. Except perhaps out west.

One week of snow on average is not worth having snow tires. Just drive appropriately. A good all-season M+S is all you need.

iPhone X ?

8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI, Studded tires are perfectly legal in most states. Only ten states in the US prohibit use of studded tires. Other states allow use but some states have seasonal restriction.

Ten states prohibit metal-studded snow tires: Alabama, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland (except in five mountainous counties), Minnesota, Mississippi, Texas, and Wisconsin. (of which IMHO, Minnesota and Wisconsin are the only two states that would benefit from studded tires but not allowed. Other states with maybe exception of some area in Maryland, I would think never get cold enough to be needing studded tires.)
    U.S. metal-studded snow tire regulations

#8 Salamander_King, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    HPrimeAdvanced and Usle like this.
  9. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Okay, so 40 states have no law against studded snow tires. Half of them see so little snow on a seasonal basis, that no one would even buy snow tires, let alone studded ones. I live in Wisconsin, they banned them decades ago when it was determined that they caused accelerated wear on the road surface. Of course the alternative doesn’t do much to slow that down either. Slather the roads with salt or brine as soon as forecasters say it might snow or have freezing rain. Most main roads are clear and dry within hours after the snow stops. If they didn’t put salt down forcing the roads to melt quickly, then I could see a valid reason for studded tires.

Modern snow tires, like blizzaks, are way better than the studded snow tires of decades past. Studded tires are meant for hard Pack ice and snow. The kind that stays on the roads for days or weeks because temps never get warm enough to melt the roads.

iPhone X ?

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I didn't know about the states that prohibit use of studded tires until I looked it up and was surprised to see Wisconsin and Minnesota. I would think both states would benefits from having studded tires on icy roads. I totally agree with you about excessive use of road salt. I live on rural area of New England, but for most part of winter I can get by with just all season with plenty of tread. However the secondary road I have to drive to get to main roads are not plowed and not salted often enough after major snow storm, so it tend to become packed snow then thick ice for good part of winter. Although that's only 5-6 miles from my house to main road, I did wear studded snow tires on my previous cars just for that section of roads during winters. But they were so uncomfortable and noisy once I am off from packed snow and ice, and also caused major mpg hit. I switched to studdless a few years ago. I am so glad I did that and there is no way going back to studded tires ever again, unless I decide to move to somewhere remote where no plaw come during winter.

#10 Salamander_King, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  11. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I am planning to buy a set in the next 2-3 months for our c. These cars are unusually dependent on front axle traction, so I want to help it everywhere I can.

12. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Err, front wheel drive is superior to rear wheel drive on snow, the weight is right over the wheels.
    IMHO, it's not going that's the problem, it's stopping, I prefer studs.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Get on it sooner than later, beat the rush. Especially if you're getting extra rims, and can install them yourself. It can be madhouse in November/December.

14. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I just need to waste 6-8 weeks trying to figure out what to do about TPMS. So far electrical tape is winning as a proposed solution. This is our first car with TPMS and I'm disappointed that nearly every method of coping with it involves disabling it. Looks like some very spiteful engineering was involved.

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yap, that's what I am going to do this winter. But as a back-up I purchased external TPMS to keep my eyes on tire pressure. If you really want to have functional TPMS inside of tires, I think finding a tire shop that will clone the OEM TPMS ids from your current tires and putting them in the new set of tires and rims will be the most hassle free way going forward for DIY tire change. Cost is $40 each for cloneable TPMS, and fees to shop to read your existing IDs and program them onto new clone sensors and putting them together, probably around $100.

#15 Salamander_King, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    jzchen likes this.
  16. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I got a used Scion iQ, which has no space for a spare. One day the TPMS light went on. When I checked the pressures they were fine. The previous owner had used the temporary tire goo repair, and I’m assuming it on occasion still fouls up the sensor. Hopefully living with the light is an option? I am not interested in paying $ to solve an intermittent light. These are not runflats, correct? Then when you get a low pressure situation you will feel it before any MORE dangerous situation develops from unknowingly driving a runflat flat.

17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'd go for that in a heartbeat. I haven't found $40 cloneable sensors. Any specific recommendations?

18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This one for example at Amazon is $119 for 4 programmable TPMS.

You just need to find a shop willing to work with you to program them with current TPMS IDs off from your summer tires. Or you have to spend additional $$$ for Autel TPMS scanning/programing handheld tool like this one.

I believe, TS501 is not only TPMS scanner/programmer, but also can be used for OBDII linked TPMS register, meaning if you have this tool, you can program your C with new TPMS IDs without taking to a shop or dealer.

19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Your amazon link seems not to have worked, but I will search more. Thanks!

I think I will buy a set of programmable sensors for the winter wheels. I don't mind paying a pro tire shop to do the programming so that both sets of wheels respond with the same 4 IDs. I don't think I need to own that tool yet, for two sets of tires on one car, when it will be at least 3 years before we own another TPMS-enabled car.

20. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Turn off your Ad blocker. Amazon link is seen as Ads.
    If that doesn't work, just search on Amazon for following title "Autel MX-Sensor 315MHz TPMS Programmable Sensors for Tire Pressure Monitoring System (Metal Stem Qty of 4)"