1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter snow tires or not?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tynyyn, Sep 29, 2018.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have Blizzaks for our Camry, we'll put them on after Thanksgiving.

In Oregon, the highway departments really don't deal with any snow anywhere except the high mountain passes. Normally, if it snows in the "urban/suburban" areas the snow is left until it melts. This usually means a day or two of sketchy driving --- but rarely -- the snow persists for a week or so and things get very interesting.

I WON'T drive the Prius when there is snow or ice. The car is horrible as others have mentioned.

We also have tire chains and use them on the Camry. Note that my driveway is just about 500 yards long and goes from about 400' at the bottom to about 780' feet at the house. If the driveway is at all icy/snowy, can't make it without chains.

Anyway, to the original poster, get tire chains and learn how to use them before you need them. I can put them on in about five minutes, but I learned in August weather at home -- not in a snowstorm on the highway.

Ignore the cheapest and get either the Z-Cable type or the diamondback chain types -- they are around $90-$100 per pair. The diagonal "Z" cables are a little easier to deal with. The diamondback chains are more durable and I BELIEVE offer slightly better ice traction. But, they are more of a pain to deal with and if they get tangled, trying to untangle them along the road is no fun.

Traction Product Comparisons | Peerless Industrial Group, Inc., Inc.

BTW, Oregon law requires drivers to carry chains or have winter traction tires when driving in "Snow Zones."

Of course, it is a law that gets violated routinely.

Oregon Chain Law | TripCheck - Oregon Traveler Information

#41 cyberpriusII, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The answer is yes you can put chains on your Prius. They do make them, I have a set myself. Snow or studded tires would be a better option though