1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter Tire advice and tips

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Mike James, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Mike James

Mike James Camaros and Prii go figure

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you decide to purchase a 2nd set of wheels for dedicated winter tires here is some friendly advice.

Tirerack.com does not have the Prius V wagon yet on there website, so I entered a 2005 Camry LE to bring up a vehicle that matched the Bolt Pattern (5-114), Offset +30~45mm, and backspacing 5.5~6 inches.

I purchased the Rial Milano 16x6.5 wheel and Michelin X-Ice Xi2 205/60-16 tire. They look and fit great. It was the only 6.5 wide wheel they had in a 16.

Other wheel and tire combo sizes that will fit.
    Deleted 15 inch rim. I do not believe a 15 inch rim will fit on the rear due to the larger rear disc brake.
    Wheel 16x7 -- 215/55-16 tire (Lots of wheels to choose from, higher cost tire)
    Wheel 16x7 -- 215/60-16 tire (Lots of wheels to choose from, bit more ground clearance, small speedo error)
    Wheel 17x7 -- 215/50-17 tire (OEM size for v 5, High cost, good looks)
    Wheel 17x7.5 -- 225/50-17 tire (Really high cost, heavy, subjectively looks the best)

My advice, do not go with a 7 or 7.5 inch wide wheel without buying a wider tire to go with it. If you love the look of a certain wheel then you wouldn’t want to ruin it with road rash next time you go through a drive through or parallel park on the street. Yes, the specs say a skinny tire will mount on a fat rim, but don’t do it.

For tires I would go with the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 (with $70 rebate) Otherwise the General Altimax Arctic also gets good reviews. Third choice would be what I run on my other car, Bridgestone Blizzaks, love them (7 years so far).

Another interesting tidbit, my new 16 inch wheel and tire weigh 39 lbs, verses my 17 inch OEM combo that weighs 45 lbs. The new 16’s should ride better, with better acceleration, and higher MPGs win, win, win.

Should you buy TPMS sensors? No, I did the TPMS bypass (see link).
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii.../77254-idea-fool-tire-pressure-sensors-6.html
    It is too much of a pain to have the dealer reprogram twice a year and too costly to buy the sensors and reprogrammer for myself.

7 people like this.
  2. Mike James

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Now I am starting to second guess my top tire pick. I just measured my 6 year old Bridgestone Blizzak tread depth at .300” inches or 9.6/32. At this rate these winter tires will outlast my 2005 Chrysler 300C. The new Michelin X-Ice Xi2 only measure .320” or 10.25/32 brand new.
    I picked the X-Ice Xi2 for four reasons
    1) Price with $70 rebate.
    2) Top tested at Tirerack.com
    3) Michelin reputation
    4) They are LRR, which I speculate makes a bigger difference on winter tires.
    Now I am noticing the “Do not include LRR tires” check box on tirerack.com which makes wonder about picking the LRR tire. Research suggests there is no free lunch. LRR tires trade tread life and grip for lower rolling resistance. Further research suggests if anyone would be picking LRR tires it would be Prius owners.

3. rsuplido

rsuplido New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for this info.

Have you tried resetting TPMS to see if the TPMS indicator turns off? Check the p. 390 of the DIY manual on how to do this.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not in all cases and especially not with winter tires which tend to use difference materials to resist deformation and breaking down in cold weather. Namely silica which also helps with reducing rolling resistance. Most of the Nokian offerings are also LRR and they make some of the best snow tires.

Older LRR tires did require a tradeoff in handling, wear, or traction but the newer tires do not require such sacrifices. The Continental ContiContractPro with EcoPlus and the Michelin Primacy MXM4 are good examples of long-lived tires with excellent traction, treadwear (500-600) and wet weather performance. Compared to an all out performance tire these tires may not rate as high but those all out performance tires are expensive and have a very low treadwear (100-300) rating. So choose your weapon wisely. :)

Did you watch the TireRack videos I posted in the fuel economy thread?

5. Mike James

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have page 390, read on to page 391 and you will know resetting TPMS will not clear the light.
    Yes I did review your tire post. If someone lives in an area with milder winters a great option would be to put on a highly rated set of all-seasons like the Michelin Primacy MXM4.
    I would not recommend the Continental ContiContact tires. I had a similar tire on my 300C. It had low tread life and was downright scary on packed snow or ice.
    I can tell you are as crazy as I am when it comes to tire research :mod:
    The TPMS bypass works. Just remove the lower glove box, it just pops out. Jumper pins 5-7. I used a piece of wire leftover from my garage door opener sensors. Looks like about 28 gauge solid copper. I’ll try to post some pictures later.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Mike :)

The ContiProContact is a new tire. It ranked pretty high in the tire rack tests and comes with an 80,000 mile warranty. Sometimes the OEM version of a tire is different than the aftermarket version as is the Fuel Max tires. A lot of them also have very low treadwear ratings too. That being , I have no clue how it handles snow.

7. andrewg

andrewg New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Op thanks for posting this information.
    I'd like to pick your brain about wheels. As I understand it, plastic centering rings are used to adapt the Rial's hub size to the Prius' hub size. Do you feel that this is as good as the wheel fitting snuggly on the hub without an adapter?
    thanks
    andrew

8. Mike James

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That is a good question. I believe it is fine, the rings are bright orange and I do not see them falling out. It looks to me like the wheel is designed to have different rings pressed in depending on what the hub diameter is. To me it is a mood point because the supplied lug nuts are tapered. The wheel and tire assembly is clamped tight to the hub and centered by the tapered lug nuts.
    Maybe it is a CYA thing, I just can’t imagine 1) Those rings coming off the wheel and sticking to the hub and 2) A blind installer reinstalling the wheels with the ring stuck on the hub.
    I don’t know about you but when I install wheels I hold the wheel against the hub as I tighten the first couple lug nuts. I do not rely on the lug nut pushing the wheel back to the hub.
    Another point is I trust Tire Rack. I trust the wheels I purchased are of good quality. I have purchased generic no name aftermarket wheels on Ebay in the past and always wondered about the quality.
    [​IMG]

9. andrewg

andrewg New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the pic. That really is a good looking wheel.
    andrew

10. sambb

sambb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mike, will 17 x 7.5 wheels fit, with 225/50-17 tires? I have them already for another car.... i just dont know if they will fit the prius V wagon.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The plastic centering ring might be less likely to "lock" onto the hub. I found after 7+ months our Prius OEM alloys were all a little corroded at the hub junction, requiring lower the car with loosened lug nuts to break them loose.

There's likely a Toyota steel rim that will work with snows, maybe from a Camry?

12. wiz28a

wiz28a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I bought a set of TPMS sensors from Tirerack for my 2010 Prius III for $70, and I am looking at purchasing the TPMS registration tool for $149. Would you agree that this is cost effective if I bought the car this year and I plan to change out the tires twice each year for the next 8-10 years?

Also, has anybody used this quickset device from ATEQ through Revolution Supply which is at revolutionsupply.com?

--Andy

13. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does anyone have any experience with and recommendations for tire pressures with the Michelin Xice2 in 195/65/15 size? The reason I ask is that the tread width appears larger than the stock OEM Yokohama S33D tires. I have been running those at 40F / 38R for the last 30,000 miles. Should the Winter tires be inflated about the same, or perhaps a little lower?

14. Mike James

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I would run 35 psi all around. Factory door label says 33F/32R. If you are running 40F / 38 R in the dead of winter and it warms up to 60 degrees some fine January day I would think your TPMS over inflation alarm would go off. That is, if Toyotas display a light for over inflation? I would think they would, other makes I have owned (Chevy) do.

15. Mike James

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    225/50-17 is very close to the OEM 215/50-17 only about 2% speedo error. If the bolt pattern and offset are good, then they should be fine.

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Personally I would run around 42/40 or 40/38 in the winter if you get a lot of rain. Underinflation makes hydroplaning more likely than overinflating. You'll also get better wear out of the tires. Make sure you set the pressure when it's cold or else you'll drop a lot of pressure when the tires get cold.

17. Mike James

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    My wife's old car had a similar problem with the wheel sticking to the hub with lug nuts removed. I could not pull off by hand. Ended up giving the tire a good kick from my size 13 boot and it came right off. It is interesting how they can sitck like that.

Why go steel when the cheapest alloy is only $20 more per wheel. ($79 each)? Oh wait I see, Mendel is a Canuck and Vancouver is a very expensive city. Hey I spent a couple of weeks in Vancouver/ Burnaby, Very cool area! I am now the proud owner of a very nice rain jacket because it pretty much was raining 95% of the time I was there.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Plus, snow tires on aluminum rims just don't look right.

I can't recall ever having the sticking rim issue with steel rims: I think there's something with aluminum/steel interface at play.

19. ngc4565

ngc4565 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the replies. I will start with the same 40F / 38R pressures we have been using and adjust as necessary. The alloy wheels we purchased from the tire rack are awfully sexy.

Presently I am waiting for a 10-day forecast without a high above 50F, but preferably 45F. The winter package will go on within the next ten days. Watch for MPG stats after the first 1000 miles.

20. Mike James

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Let's see some pictures! What wheel did you go with?