1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter Tire Time - Should I buy 15s or 16s?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 13Plug, Oct 14, 2008.

1. taxachusetts

taxachusetts Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "I just ordered an extra set of used original equipment toyota 15" alloy wheels and a set of the new Nokian R tires."

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Will you be using Toyota TPMS valves or ordinary valve stems on the OEM alloys?

Paul, Boston

2. Nevis

Nevis Nevis

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    We got our Prius a week ago and asked about snow tires at the time. The Service manager said he would sell us Corolla steel wheels ('cause there weren't steel for Prius) but that the fit was slightly different and Toyota wouldn't warranty the practice. They didn't suggest buying alloy but I think that was for price, not corrosion (alloy corrodes?)

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The multi-fit steel wheels I got from Canadian tire fit Corolla, Prius, Matrix, etc. No difference in fit that I can determine

Good luck finding winter tires now. With the new law in Quebec, apparently all the popular sizes are sold out

4. jyl

jyl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We bought steel wheels and use the regular lug nuts, they do loosen a bit so I just check them a couple times during the winter. You don't even notice the TMPS light after awhile. We use Blizzaks, but looks like we'll only get about 20K miles from the set. The front tires wear notably faster than the rears, so swapping front to rear each winter will maximize the usage. Admittedly our winters are more freezing rain than snow, so more wear on the winter tires than in a real snow climate.

Next time, I'd like to get Nokian WRs and run them year-round. Did you like okay in the summer? Did they last a reasonably long time?

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    For steel wheels, you should use the old-fashioned acorn-style tapered lugnuts. I had the Toyota lugnuts become dangerously loose on my steel wheels.

You can get the regular lugnuts at NAPA, $20 will take care of this problem