1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter tires - need wheels?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bluesman78, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Bluesman78

Bluesman78 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am going to Costco to put on some winter tires and they said that for $10/tire they would put the summer tires on when I need them. I prefer that to having 4 rims (i don't have a garage). It seems that you need to have the TPMS if you want new wheels and Costco said they will not mount on new wheels without new TPMS.

Am I missing something? Is this feasible and not ridiculously expensive to do without investing in some cheap steel wheels?

Thanks

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can you just show up at Costco with loose rims, not disclose the car they'll go on. If that's not on, try other places, sound them out, about the loose rims scenario. It's very frustrating that it's come to this in the States. In Canada you can still do what you want (knock on wood).

This is what I went with btw:

Corolla steel rim, part no: 42611-02471 (2003-2008 corolla or matrix, CE, LS, S)
    steel rim lug nuts, part no: 90942-01007 (plain, open-ended, galvanized)

3. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    NOTHING beats dedicated snow tires for snow and ice!

Tire Rack has snow tire packages that included new tires and rims, pre-mounted AND balanced for not much more than just the tires at most local retailers. I realize space is an issue, but can you not store them somewhere; even in the rafters of the garage?

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You'll still have to put your summer tires somewhere. I don't see how 4 tires take up less space than 4 tires and steel rims. However $10/tire sounds like a good deal.

5. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, you find a place for a 3' tall stack of tires about 24" across. Summer in the winter and winter in the summer. Did that for YEARS when we lived in the Arctic (sorry, I meant MN.)

6. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here are a couple of things to consider:
    1) "All Season" tyres are jacks-of-all-trades, masters-of-none (IMNSHO) and good "snows" will beat any A/S hands down! Studs are great if you have lots of ice and sub-sub-zero temps, but are v. noisy, and chew up the pavement to the extent that many states only allow studs at certain times of the year. :eek:
    2) My solution is to have a set of summer tyres on the OEM alloy rims which came with the car, and a good set of snows (Bridgestone Blizzaks WS-80s) on a set of steelies (bought from TireRack.com) for ~$52/rim (inc. shipping). But having dedicated rims, avoids changing the tyres (twice a year) which plays hell with the sealing beads on the tyres! (…think about it! :rolleyes:) …and the wheels only need balancing once when the tyres are first mounted! :rolleyes:
    - hope this helps - Wil

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The one fly-in-the-ointment being US TPMS regs, hopefully there are still ways to do an end-run around them, or cloneable sensors or whatever. I greatly prefer the former, life is simple.

WilDavis likes this.
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Skip Costco, find a local jobber, steel rims nokian studded tires, tpms, have the jobber match them to the factory wheel tpms, changing rubber over twice a year isn't good for the rubber, get a jack and change wheels yourself, no waiting hours for service.