1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter tyres in germany and other countries in europe

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by johalareewi, Dec 10, 2010.

1. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A question for gen3 prius owners in germany and other european countries that must use winter tyres...

In the UK it is not possible to get a winter or all seasons tyres for the 17 inch rims found on our T4 and T-Spirit prius (215/45-17) and Toyota UK say that it is OK to run on the stock summer tyres in the winter :eek:

The question has been asked of toyota UK what prius owners do in countries where winter tyres are mandatory. I know that in germany winter tyres are a must have so I am asking what do gen3 prius owners with 17 inch rims do for winter tyres in countries where it is the law to have them?

2. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Utter BS!! I would like to know who is the jerk at Toyota UK that told you that. He clearly has no f****g clue of what it means to drive a car with summer tires in winter conditions... :mad:

Try to drive with summer tires (any summer tires) in snowy winter and you will have to pay €€€€ for an accident (against a wall - you don't need another car at all) or to the police who will fine you and give you points on your driver's license if you are, even, a disturbance to traffic and get you trying poorly and unsafely to drive around.
    If you are in Austria, I think you are not even allowed to drive *at all* as winter tires are compulsory - period.

I would *never* drive *any* car with summer tires, even when the temperature goes around 4C, with melting snow or remnants of iced snow, or wet roads - it is simply too dangerous.

It is usually not recommended to have alloy wheels on winter tires since salt and small stones used sometimes on roads to improve grip, could ruin them quickly. So usually you get normal steel wheels - but it's a matter of taste and €€€€€ available.

I got from Toyota Germany 16" wheels with Dunlop Wintersport M3 195/55 tires. I am pretty satisfied with them. They were 585€+19% VAT = 696€ (!!), including wheels and wheel caps (somewhat pleasant) - Prius winter tires are usually more expensive because I am told they use a special type of wheel attach not very common on other cars (???). That might be BS, but I am not seeing many much cheaper (good quality) winter tires out there in any case...

PS: I miss my wonderful 17" alloy wheels... :( need to wait until April...

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There's no law over here regarding winter tyres. So long as the tyre has more than the legal minimum of tread (1.6mm) then away you go!

First sign of snow a couple weeks ago and accidents everywhere. Also, many garages sold out of winter tyres too. Previously we don't get snow here to warrant winter tyres but the last couple winters have been bad.

I'm tempted to get some myself - do you buy an extra set of rims or just swap the tyres over and store them in your garage at home?

I'm sure you're surprised by me asking this but we just don't get the snow (at least not for the last 20 years) to warrant them. I suppose it's like residents of Darwin Australia asking about rain tyres?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    May I suggest something like the Nokian Hakkapeliita WRG2 or the Vredstein Quadra2 "all-weather" tyres. They're better than traditional all-seasons but not as good as dedicated winter tyres in the snow and you can run them year-round.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is there an all seasons low rolling resistance tyre? Are the Bridgestone Ecopias an all season or summer tyre? I didn't realise it was all so complicated.

p.s. Which spelling of tyre do you use in Canada? I notice you're using the UK spelling but is that just to be helpful. I know Canada & UK use differing spelling to the US for such things as cheques etc. Just curious.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Nokians are low-rolling resistance. I don't know about the Vredsteins (first time I heard of it was at a smart forum).

Ecopia EP20 are all seasons. EP100 are summers. Our cars are equipped with EP20s (and most cars in NA are equipped with all-season tyres. A handful of high performance cars have summers as well as the rare case, a hot hatch or other hotted-up compact car may have summer tyres).

I think Canadians use a mixture of both. For example, we will have "u"s in words (colour, harbour, honour) but other words will be American (elevator, stroller, curb, trunk)

I use a mixture of both but I was taught under the British system so before I was North Americanised (no one knew what a rubber is... and sometimes they stop and think about boot. They'll figure it out eventually but it'll take 'em a second or two).

7. sa68ta

sa68ta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Slovenia winter tires are compulsory. Sometime before 15th of November (official road winter here) I went to the first tire rack and purchased 215/45/17 Continental TS 830 M+S tires.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For winter I replaced our 17" stock tires with 15" Corolla steel rims with Michelin X-Ice Xi2 195/65R15. Also got regular steel rim nuts. No problems. The rim is p/n: 42611-02471

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So when all these Toyota drivers get involved with fatal crashes for following that "expert" advice, are you allowed in the UK to sue a company for negligence?

I personally run dedicated studded snow tires in winter. We have winter conditions that can reach -40 if not a bit colder, and can last for a few months

As long as the OD outside diameter of the tire is the same, and the wheel offset and bolt pattern are correct, you can "minus size" to find a snow tire to fit

Not sure of the 2010, but my 2004 I ran 185 65 15 in winter. That was also the stock "all season" size

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In blizzard conditions I always have fun terrifying drivers of those cars by pulling insane stunts with my FJ

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. I went studless since the roads are rarely snow-covered.

How much are the rims? A few estimates that I got put it at $40-$50/rim.

12. Yaumeister

Yaumeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From a UK perspective, you can get steel rims (16") with winter tyres (195/60) from mytyres that are suitable for the Prius. They are then shipped in from Germany, where (and most of Europe) are sensible enough to have some legislations on the use of winter tyres.

Driving around effortlessly on Conti TS830.

1 person likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With the 2010 stock 17" 215/45R15, and going to 195/65R15 for snows, the Outside Diameter is close: the 15" od is a bit more, about 102% comparing to the 17". Close enough though, works fine.

Also, 15" snows are signif cheaper, and the narrower tire cuts through snow better, and your gearing is slightly taller.

14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My Ecopia EP20s are very clearly marked as M+S all-seasons, making them legal on the nearby mountain roads when winter traction requirements are posted.

However, after two summers and 22000 miles, whatever winter abilities they may have had are long gone. They were almost worthless in Seattle's recent snow. (During last year's mild winter, I took a different car on the very few challenging days.) I was quite pleased with how the TC and VSC handled them, but these were triggered at an astoundingly low level. Braking was very 'interesting'. I'd have been much better off with a no-ABS, no-TC car pushing fresh all-seasons (the pretend-winter-tires that Jayman hates) than with these worn Ecopias with all the electronic assists.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Bridgestone Insignia SE200 and Ecopia EP20 both have "M+S", but that doesn't make them decent snow tires. Brand new they're "ok", but with half the tread gone they're useless. Their tread is nothing but lonitudinal grooves by that point, all the lateral tread and siping is gone. Neither have the mountain/snowflake symbol that snow tires have.

16. Tonic

Tonic New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i got the Toyo Observe G02 Plus for my Prius................so im coming back home in 4 weeks and wont even see my car with the beautyful 17 inchs wheels :(

17. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks like we can't get that tyre size in the UK. :(

18. Yaumeister

Yaumeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The new Conti TS 830 P is available in 215/45/17, but can't find them in the UK though.

Perhaps try the Nokian?

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The rims (new) were $70 each. I also got 20 steel rim style lug nuts for $31.

1 person likes this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! Will keep the prices in mind when I go shopping for a set.