1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter warm up routine?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by The Professor, Oct 8, 2018.

1. The Professor

The Professor Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Winter is coming...

Coming from my previous standard ICE car, I would get my car warm inside, and free of snow/ice on the outside by starting the engine, pressing the windscreen defrost button, putting on the heated windows, heated seats, heated steering wheel (already miss that!), then going outside to clear the vehicle of snow (brush), and ice (de-icer spray). By the time I'd finished, the inside of the vehicle was always nice and warm, and my younglings didn't complain when I put them in.

But in a Prius... there's no guarantee the ICE will even turn on, or is there?

What are your winter warm up tips and tricks to get that ICE heated up?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Press accelerator and the ICE will start. Or put the heater on.

3. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    By heater you mean just putting the temperature up on the climate control?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  4. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep - and press
    upload_2018-10-8_19-37-55.png

with the temperature set higher than ambient, should kick the ICE on to provide heat.

5. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Good to know - thanks!

6. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I DON'T want it to start the ICE (sneak out so my dogs don't hear me - though they will anyway - they went to the door when I left) - I hit "EV" and the "AUTO" OFF within 7 nano-seconds of POWER. EV isn't necessary - but means I've a bit more leeway with how much I can press the accelerator without it firing.

7. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Turning on the defroster starts the engine. EV only works under certain conditions and is cancelled if above 20 mph.

8. The Professor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    It seems pretty simple then... as I'd be hitting the front windscreen defrost button anyway, it sounds like that starts the ICE.

9. GadgetVirtuoso

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You won't have any issue with the ICE coming on during the winter. Even in North TX during the winter the ICE usually stays on until the engine is warm and as others have said if you start turning on the heater and defrosters the ICE will come on.

Starship16 likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The one start-up scenario I hate is when the car's been parked outside for a few hours, windshield is frosted. You pretty much are forced to sit idling till things are warmed up enough to clear the glass.

If this is happening in your own driveway, in front of a garage filled with stuff, there's something you can rectify: I've never had frost/fog with a garage stored car, though ours is an attached garage, and our winters are relatively mild.

Something else that'll speed the warm-up: the block heater. Two hours is usually enough to plateau the coolant temperature, about 30C above ambient.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    An EBH definitely helps speed things along. Windscreen defrost will turn the engine on but i would turn off the defrost (go back to AUTO) once the engine is on. My reasoning? In AUTO, the fan stays off initially, allowing the engine to warm you. In defrost, the fan is running at full speed, taking whatever little heat there is from the engine, so the engine takes longer to heat up.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  12. JosephG

JosephG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    The hybrid system starts up to lubricate the engine if it is cold outside anyway. Unless you live in a very cold climate, a block heater is probably unnecessary since the Prius actually stores hot coolant in a vacuum insulated container to warm-up the engine faster. Whenever your engine shuts off (at power down or EV mode or whatever), some hot coolant is kept in this container to get the engine warm fast when it needs to turn on again.

#12 JosephG, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  13. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think that feature made it to Gen 4 - I think I read that it was dropped at Gen 3 mid-term update. Replaced by an Exhaust Heat Recirculation System - and that only on some markets, think it said part USA and Canada. I don't think it's on ours here.

- start at 17:55 (unless you've got 37 mins spare - it's actually quite interesting eg, the Muffler valve to allow less restricted flow under some situations, but which is normally running in quiet mode).

Starship16 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 2nd Gen US Prius was the only one that used a vacuum insulated container to store warm coolant. The 3rd Gen and your 4th Gen do not have that.

15. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    That is my biggest gripe with the Prius. My Gen 3 used to take about 10-15 minutes to clear frost and then I was left with only the bottom half of the screen cleared of mist, then it took a further 5-10 minutes to clear the top half of the screen. The Gen 4 is a bit quicker maybe 5-10 minutes, and does clear the whole screen of mist.
    The last car I had before going hybrid in 2010 was a 2008 Ford Mondeo which had a heated (element) front screen, this cleared the screen of any frost or mist in less than a minute. The patent Ford had on these ran out around 2011 IIRC, so I don't know why Toyota didn't adopt them for the 2012 on models, it saves a lot of fuel and pollution on winter start ups. Maybe it was a weight thing ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wish there was a regular ventilation mode that was windshield only, not windshield/heat-to-feet. This:

upload_2018-10-9_7-50-43.png

versus:

upload_2018-10-9_7-51-18.png

Most cars do offer both. I appreciate there's the special front windshield defog option, that invokes AC as well, but I'd just like that extra vent mode.

dubit likes this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Gen 4 has it ;)

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not seeing it:

upload_2018-10-9_9-39-22.png

alanclarkeau likes this.
  19. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IT might be a moot point since technology hasn’t improved but myself understanding is that the heating elements can sometimes cause interference with the onboard GPS receiver. Also I guess there’s that weird glint if the sun angle is just right and reflects off the wires.

20. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That's correct. Those are the vent settings.
    Or you can press the front windshield & mirrors defrost button. But there's no fan action with that button.

Mendel Leisk likes this.