1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter weather charger recommendations

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Sideshow Bob, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    OK.
    I have graduated from a Camry Hybrid to a 2017 Prius Prime.

What I need is some "been there - done that - got the T-shirt" level advice from people familiar with how nasty Canadian winters can be.

What would you recommend for a level 2 charging option that would be mounted outside?
    Snow and rain are facts of life here, so something weatherproof would be appreciated.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the L2 EVSE is rated for outdoor use and was installed properly, then it should be already weatherproof. I used OEM L1 EVSE on the weatherproofed electric outlet box on the outside wall of our house. No problem in 3+ years during rain, snow, ice. The only thing I would suggest getting is this EV port cover from none other than Canadian Ebayer. Worked very well for our New England winter weather, which should be very similar to PEI weather.
    The photo is without the cover (bottom left) and with the cover (top and bottom right).

Toyota Prius Prime - EV Port Cover

chargeport snow5-vert.jpg

#2 Salamander_King, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  3. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you good sir!
    Your winters are pretty much like ours.
    We just get your used weather 24 hours later.

I like the idea of the port cover. It is something I never would have considered.
    So if I read your post correctly, you are just using the Level 1 charger and not a dedicated Level 2?

I am tempted to go that route, but I have a feeling that that this will not be the only plug in vehicle in our driveway by this time next year, so am seriously considering biting the bullet and installing an outdoor level 2 once the ground thaws.

Salamander_King likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    An outdoor L2 should be weatherproof (especially since you'd be dealing with higher voltages and potentially water).

I don't know what shipping costs are like to PEI but I found that purchasing the EVSE from the US is cheaper than locally. (I bought my ClipperCreek LCS20P for US$400 vs. $1,000 that Sun Country wanted for the same EVSE. Mine is a plug because it's indoors so there was no installation costs and no shipping because I sent it to a US box and I crossed the border to pick it up and just paid the taxes on the way back. This was back in 2019)

Sideshow Bob likes this.
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, for PP, L1 EVSE worked fine for me. I only drive once a day, so plugging in overnight ~6 hours for the morning commute worked. Unless you drive multiple trips of longer than 20 miles a day, shorter 2 hours charging does not benefit you. But as you said, if you are future proofing for the next car, then yeah, having a faster L2 charger for multiple PHEV or BEV will be good. I actually bought EnelX Jucebox 40amp L2 EVSE last summer when our state was offering a big incentive. But I have not installed it yet. I have a detached garage far away from the main panel in the house, and the project upgrading the current 20A circuit to 50A has not been commenced yet.

#5 Salamander_King, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    Sideshow Bob likes this.
  6. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the info!
    What website did you buy it from?

#6 Sideshow Bob, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2021
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Their home website.

16A Level 2 EVSE LCS-20 | ClipperCreek

This is mine: 16A Level 2 EVSE LCS-20P with NEMA 6-50 | ClipperCreek I use a plug version (as opposed to hardwired) because they're installing NEMA 6-50R receptacles in multi-residential stratas in my city so it's up to the owners to buy their own EVSE.

Now this is just for the Prius Prime (3.3kW, 16A charger). It'll charge other EVs but at a slower rate.

If you plan to have another EV in the future (or you own your house and plan to stay there for a while), then I'd go for a more powerful version.

Like these: Level 2 Electric Vehicle Charging Stations: 20 - 32A | ClipperCreek

Most newer EVs will be have 7-11kW AC charging. (Right now, most are in the 6.6-7kW range). But of course the higher power will be more expensive to buy and would require that your house is capable of delivering those higher amperage.

When I bought from them, they were responsive with e-mail so if I would ask them about outdoor installation and what they recommend. You can still use @Salamander_King 's EV port cover as extra protection (it's easier to remove snow from a single cover than to brush away snow from all the nooks and crannies.

Sideshow Bob likes this.
  8. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    All good stuff to know.
    I am here to learn!

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you! Emailed them this morning so waiting for a reply!