1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winter wheels and weight

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by rwatt, Dec 7, 2014.

1. rwatt

rwatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I saw a few threads touching on winter wheels and weight differences. As an FYI, here are some facts after my 1st winter tire change on my PIP:

Stock wheels and Yokohama Avid = 34 lbs. each.

Steel wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliittas = 36 lbs. each.

Steel wheel spare with Yokohama Avid = 38 lbs.

I estimate that a Hakka weighs 2 lbs. less than an Avid, but steel wheels weigh 2lbs. more than the stock alloys. Given that the added weight from the winter set is closer to the axle, there should be little to no mpg difference. Also, Nokian claims that the Hakkas have less rolling resistance than others, so we may see an improvement in mild conditions.

And, as others have written, no problem without TPMS on the winter set because I don't mind a warning light staying on.

drash likes this.
  2. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to admit, after 9 seasons with Michelin X-Ice, the switchover to Hakkapeliittas has been much better than expected. The R2 I have on there now for winter have low noise, great ride and I haven't noticed any difference in mpg from my all seasons. Now I haven't pumped them up to 40/38 like the old Michelins, but I haven't lost any mileage with them at 36. They are nothing short of awesome and wish I could keep them on during the summer. So now I'm looking forward to replacing my all seasons with Nokian all-seasons.

The only thing the warning light does is to remind me to make sure to keep checking the air pressure manually.

rwatt likes this.
  3. Anthro

Anthro old member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks drash & others for your Hakkapeliitta R2 comments. We came home across town through ten inches of snow last night on our new set--their first real trial--with nary a stumble or slip. Totally confidence-inspiring. This set joins an older set of Nokian snows on my wife's '82 Tercel, and a studded pair of Nokians (bought in Finland when I commuted to work by bike there one winter) on my bicycle. And they're said to have very low rolling resistance!

4. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I cheaped out a bit and bought the Michelin X-Ice 3's last year because getting the Hakka's was another couple hundred bucks and the PiP is leased so I didn't want to spend it. The Michenlin's are good, and have reasonably little effect on mileage, but they don't seem as confidence inspiring as our Hakka's on our other vehicles.