1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Winterization???

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by SwhitePC, Jan 4, 2015.

1. citroenjohn

citroenjohn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you live in the North where it snows you should really consider winter tires. Of course they're better on ice and in the snow, but, they are also better on dry pavement when it is cold. The material winter tires are made of are more pliable in cold weather than all season tires. I have been driving front wheel cars almost exclusively since 1961. During my younger years I participated in ice racing both sanctioned and unsanctioned so I am pretty good at driving on slippery surfaces. During the winter I have 4 good winter tires mounted on my C, plus good windshield solvent as mentioned in a previous post.

2. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Michelin-X are what I use. I did a bit of research beforehand, and they seem to be rated well.

3. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    do you also sometimes use chains/cables on top of your winter tires? or would winter tires suffice for most situations?

4. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    You should be fine with just snow tires. I used Michelin X-Ice XI3 tires on my c last year, and my liftback this year, and both handled SE Wisconsin weather just fine, so long as the snow wasn't more than 4 inches deep. They also handle cold dry ground fairly well.

With tires, you'll be more concerned with temps rather than snow/ice. All-seasons and summer tires get stiff when it's cold, which is why they handle poorly in winter conditions. That's why you see people driving "sleds" in the winter time when there's snow/ice on the ground. So long as you're driving through areas that aren't going to get much higher than 50ish degrees, the winter tires will be fine.

I don't think you'll need chains unless you're going to drive through a really snowy off-road area. If you're staying on main roads and the interstate, the snow tires should suffice so long as the roads are plowed. And the prius rides really low to the ground, so if there's a lot of snow that hasn't been plowed, you're going to have to find an alternate route if you don't want to risk getting stuck due to the prius's somewhat stubborn traction control.

Tirerack has reviews on many winter tires, so you should check their website out and watch the videos for how said tires handle. I bought the Michelins based on the tests they did, which I'm fairly happy with.

I did block my grill in the c, but haven't bothered to do with my liftback this year. I understand why people do that, and the engine block heating thing does work. But for me, if plugging a car in isn't charging a battery, it's not worth the hassle, especially if I forget to unplug it and drive off. Which I totally will at some point. I'll just eat the lowered mpg, and make up for the average in the summer.

5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If there's anywhere where tire chains are a good idea it's in this area. But I carried a set of tire chains for years, and never used them once. Generally, if the road is bad enough to require chains, it's not worth driving on it in my opinion.

#25 GregP507, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I see the base model Prius c comes with steel rims. A set of those for your snows would be least problematic. If your model has alloys, consider getting Toyota's plain nuts too. If you have OEM tires are on steel rims you're set already, can even dress it up with the wheel covers. ;)

7. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, luckily for me I still kept my steel rims around after going aftermarket, however, I lost the steel rim oem lug nuts...I guess I'll

1) take a trip my local toyota dealer for some lug nuts,
    2) autozone or w/e for some antifreeze WW fluid (so should I empty out my current washer fluid and put in the antifreeze one? or should I just miz/add on to it)
    3) and to costco for some michelin x-ice before my trip to be prepared

am I missing anything else? thank you everyone for the responses and tips

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would empty most of it, then add, otherwise, you won't know how diluted it is, and it might freeze.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I just use freeze protected washer fluid year round, simpler. I've heard on the states you can't buy in summer. Not so here. If it was, I'd just stock up.

10. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    15F today...mpg was 43 on my short commute. Typically it is 55-60 mpg.

11. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Okay, one last thing to be sure...The stock radiator fluid should have anti-freeze capabilities, RIGHT??? Thank you.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes. Coolant is the same, regardless of climate. Well, except I think the Canadian spec'd coolant is 5% more anti-freeze, vs water.

13. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    thank you everyone, I made my crazy trek from cali to illinois

I just did it with the stock brigestone tires (put my faith in that all season M+S) and didn't buy any snow tires after looking up the weather, etc...and seeing that I would have drove more than halfway without any snow, anyways the weather was good to me (lowest temps was in Wyoming around 17 or so from the car readout of outside temp) and most snow I saw was after getting out of salt lake city and going up the mountain, while I saw some dense fog at night. I got a little scared when my washer fluid froze on the nozzle opening and I thought I put in too little anti-freeze, but I later brushed off the frozen clog at the opening and it was squirting again...

My MPG sucked really bad (mid 30s), was doing high 70s mid 80s on stretches of highway that allowed for higher speed limit, and it was really cold and no grill blocking, BUT gas was/is darn cheap, so whatever. I actually decided to go to home depot today and blocked most of the top and bottom grills and by gawd...setting 65 degrees is actually giving me warm air (before grill blocking, car was trying really hard to give me any heat from the engine and air was sort of cold at 65) and MPG went back up to low 50s on a 10mile mid/high speed trek that showed high 30s before the grill blocking.

took me 30 some hours, with like minimal sleep...and I was afraid I would get tired, but I was actually in the zone

14. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Show us a picture of how you blocked grill please. Did you use foam pipe insulation? That increase in mpg after blocking is substantial.

15. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I just foam piped it ($4), left a section in upper grill (by passenger side) open and left two sections in bottom center grill open (just in case of overheating, though I doubt it)

today, the engine ran good, almost like summer, it didn't have to work so hard to give me cabin heat and it actually turned off like in summer; however, starting up the car from a cold start after being left for the night outside, I think I heard a buzzing while I was driving from that cold start