1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiper blade refills

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by booke02, Sep 23, 2019.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was always a choice too. It wasn't like the simple rubber replacement was forced upon everyone.

FWIW, I don't recall ever losing the full blade to heavy snow and ice. The rubber on a very few old wipers did peel away a few times, that was part of the winter learning process.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I have always purchased two front rubber refills for my Prii. I cut down the better old refill and use it on the rear wiper.

JeffD

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, it didn't happen to my Prius either on Gen3 or three PPs. Even the one I kept the car for ~3 years. I never had to change the original OEM wiper blade.

The ones I had to replace prior to that were all aftermarket wipers with the universal attachment, the plastic piece that attaches to the end of the J hook. They are just not very durable. Many times, it broke off when the wiper was frozen and stuck to the windshield. And when I forcefully released it. But one time I lost a wiper (driver's side) while driving in very heavy snow. It just flew away into the deep snow. Luckily, I had a spare wiper in the car. Ever since the incident, I carry a spare wiper blade assembly in all of our cars. I bought spare wiper blades for my PP when I got my first PP in 2017 but never had to use it. I still have them in an original box.

4. fusion

fusion Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Any idea what OEM makes the original wipers for the Toyota Prius Prime. The construction just seems so much better than the aftermarket stuff you find in stores. I've only seen Trico replacements which are junk. I purchased 2 different replacements and they both are terrible. Wouldn't mind getting the OEM version for other vehicles as replacement granted they make other attachment types.

Thanks Mendel for the reply earler!

BTW, found a video to replace the inserts if anyone needs to do theirs. So easy after watching the video. Same way for our cars.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Whenever you take the whole wiper assembly off the arm, be REAL careful with the arm: it’s spring-tensioned, could thwack down onto windshield. Maybe put a rolled up towel in the landing zone.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I lost a new windshield that way, trying to figure out why my wipers were colliding and binding together, immediately after a windshield replacement.

The glass guy had re-installed the wipers on the wrong side. At least his boss covered it as a mis-installation.

Mambo Dave and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. a2058

a2058 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I just did this yesterday and now my windshield is cracked… ouch. The longer main arm does want to snap right back down much too easily… new glass is listed at a little over $1000 at the dealership, awaiting on a quote from them…

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Guess you didn't see Mendel's caution

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. a2058

a2058 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Haha, no I didn’t… and turned out to be the most expensive wiper replacement job, ever! It’s going to be $1800 for the replacement!

Mendel Leisk likes this.