1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wiper woes

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tgpii, Feb 18, 2014.

1. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    When to turn on my wipers on. I notice some rubber hanging off the passenger side wiper on my Prius C. So I will replace the wiper. I hate how the passenger side wiper is so much smaller. A bigger wiper can push more snow and ice. Anyways should I go with stock or get some after market wiper? Why or why not? Would that be covered by the warranty/secluded maintenance? Also sometimes when I shift it into gear the lights on the shifter don't always light up. What would cause this? That should be covered by the warranty Thanks.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would let Toyota handle it through warranty and free maintenance

3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The loose rubber should be covered by Toyota, can't do anything on a short wiper, you will just have to get used to it.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The wiper size is engineered to give the best visibility to the driver and the size of the wiper blades are the largest available for the windshield size. I don't think you can put a larger one on and still have it functional

5. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The blade is shot. It's a replaceable maintenance item and will not be covered under warranty.

Replacement blades are cheap and plentiful. I get mine at wal-mart, though they are sold in any good parts store, as well. Get one the same size, as they will be in the selection mix. They are easy to replace and you should replace your wipers at least once a year. I change mine about twice per year or whenever they start streaking.

The tough one is the rear wiper. I won't go to the stealership unless I have to, so I just got a long wiper refill and cut a portion out to replace on the arm. But I had to remove the 10mm nut holding the wiper on and take the wiper into the garage to figure it out and make the change. The tougher part is going to be finding a wiper that will fit that is a couple of inches longer.

tgpii likes this.
  6. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Try not to use your wipers to remove ice/snow. The wiper arm connection is probably made of plastic and is design to shear if too much force is placed on it. I should know, it happened to me on my '82 subaru. :eek:

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All parts of the car except tires are covered by Toyota for 12 months, 12,000 miles, wiper blades will be covered. Tires have there own warranty from the maker.

8. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Only cost 5 bucks for a new one.

9. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The passenger wiper is small because the driver's wiper is huge. Together they clear the most % of the windshield versus making them equal size. Likely the rubber sheared off because of the winter weather - possibly try to use them when they were frozen to the windshield? Happens all the time. I've tried several non-Toyota brand replacements but can't seem to find one that works as well as Toyota OEM, and doesn't look dorky on the car at the same time.

10. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The Toyota OEM wiper for the passenger side was only 5 bucks. For that price. . .

11. JPTuck

JPTuck Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I like to change mine once a year even tho I use a dedicated snow blade during the winter. To buy a set of summer inserts for the wiper blades from Toyota that the Prius came with cost a little more than $11 with the rear the more difficult to replace.

12. carolD

carolD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I bring my car to Toyota for everything. You don't want to get the wrong advice. Regular mechanics do not know a lot about these cars. I trust Toyota.

13. Faster345

Faster345 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Amazon has wiper replacements for all cars. Also I suggest applying Rain-X to all your car's exterior glass. Water just beads off, and at highway speeds you don't even need to run the wipers. Cheers.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Check the date, this thread is a 2014 thread.

I'm kinda assuming the OP has his wiper problem resolved by now.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ah woops.

Maybe the real old threads should display with cobwebs, hehe.

16. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    With RainX you can delete your wipers all together! Less drag and looks better!

17. Faster345

Faster345 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
  18. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    or left! ;)

19. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The wiper will not be covered by warranty. When you go to your Toyota dealer for something just go to the parts department and buy 3 inserts and ask the service department to put them on for you. They will usually do it for nothing.

20. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have noticed the plastic arms that hold the inserts are becoming dry with the hot sun we have. I may need to replace it all.