1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wire harness replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dahmshl, May 16, 2016.

1. dahmshl

dahmshl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2005 Prius (120,000 miles) has four warning lights that have come on: red triangle, yellow triangle, problem!, and a small red battery. The first dealership said I needed a new inverter/converter ($4800+). The second dealership said I need a complete wire harness replacement ($3700+). I'm not seeing much info on either of these problems on the forums. The car seems to run fine. What advice can you give to someone who feels she is being given taken for a ride? Anyone in the Milwaukee area know an honest, reliable place for a third opinion?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you are smart to question them. did they give you a printout of the trouble codes? if not, can you call and ask for them and post them here?
    member 'eric becky' is in madison. i think he only does batteries, but he's very helpful. you can start a private conversation with him.

3. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Only 2 reasons the harness would need to be replaced and one is rodent damage where mice chewed through the harness seen alot of those and the other is its a salvage title car and was in an accident and the harness was damaged. Are you one of the 2?

Have the dealer show you the damage to the wring harness. Has the Inverter Coolant Pump TSB been performed on the car? Its a free replacement. They fail lot and overheat the Inverter and it shuts the car down. Did that happen to your car? You can check that pumps status by making the car READY and then open the hood and take the cap off the Invert coolant reservoir filled with the pink fluid. With a flashlight look inside the reservoir and see if it shows circulation by bubbles or agitation. if the coolant is just sitting there the pump is dead and needs to be replaced.

You can go to Toyota.com/owners website and join and enter the cars vin and it will report to you every incidence the car has seen service at a authorized Toyota dealer. The codes we need may be listed on that site's most recent visit by you.

Pioneerscot likes this.
  5. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How hard is it to replace the harness?