1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured wired gen II volt review

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by austingreen, Sep 3, 2015.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Chevy's New Volt Is Way Better, But Maybe Not Good Enough | WIRED

Pretty good commentary.
    Bring it. A better volt, prius, and leaf can only be good for consumers.

Just fyi, gm is going to leverage what it learned on the volt to make plug-ins for china
    General Motors Begins Work On $470 Million "Green Car" Factory In China

#1 austingreen, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The writer wrote a nive review

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A number of states are improving incentives just as Volt2 comes out so that helps, enormously possibly. CA extended the green HOV sticker program, DE/CT have new discounts, believe WA just extended their incentive to PHEV and BEV as long as they are under $35k.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    These are the 'new model, sales chill' for 2016 models that I'm aware of:
    • Prius hatchback
    • Volt
    • Tesla
    Any others?

The reason I ask is we usually see an "N month" decrease in sales prior to the new model showing up. Then a 3-4 month sales boom when the new model sales start. I'm thinking about how to make a sub table in the Hybrid Dashboard report to track these effects. But I don't always know the dates for models I don't follow.

Bob Wilson

5. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla is not a sales chill, but the model X should be an accelerator for bev sales in October. Model S and i3 sales are making up for poor leaf sales in the bev market.

The 30 kwh leaf has hurt leaf sales, due this fall. The gen II isn't out till Q2 2017, which means leaf sales may be lower than last year for the next couple of years, as that and the bolt cause potential leaf customers to wait.

Bolt, bmw 330 phev, outlander phev, and prius phv gen II 2016 probably. Tesla model III 2018 probably for non-signature, with pre orders and details starting in march.

That means this year bevs are up, phevs down, but combined they will be mainly flat compared to last year. 2016 and 2017 should be stong growth years, with 2018 possibly a break out year depending on how the model III, gen II leaf, and bolt do.

#5 austingreen, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
    bwilson4web likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks, I forgot about the Leaf.

The key dates are:
    1. Credible rumors - this is hard because we've known the Prius gen IV would be coming but it is hard to pin down when to 'start the clock'. I don't care for the announcement of the the announcement . . .
    2. Announcement date - Sept 8 for the Prius gen IV.
    3. Sales start date - First sales of new models
    4. Initial sales boost, 3-4 months - somewhat dependent on the manufacturing ramp-up and sales force training.
    Bob Wilson

7. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Some new numbers, better than expected from motor trend.

Chevrolet Volt Review - Motor Trend

That gets the car into the better accelerating cars category. It's about the same as they got in the camry hybrid. Slower than 6 cylinders, but plenty fast enough for most people. The other complaint with gen I was braking.

They seemed to get that sorted out too. Maybe without competition this would be a sales hit like the second gen prius, but there is that child's middle seat in the back, and the price, and the competition.

Jeff N likes this.
  8. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, so in a few more months, you can get a Gen 1 Volt for a really good price then...

9. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    120 feet for a stopping distance is not spectacular when there are cars that stop a car length shorter.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    didn't really understand the writers point. what does he think gm would have to have done to make the volt a 'hit'? it's a niche car, like the pip and others. it's not the competition, it's the consumers, and gas prices.

11. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Another positive review.
    Edmunds Gushes Over 2016 Chevy Volt - Gas 2
    I'll leave out the numbers they got wrong there, which makes me mistrust their skills, but they seemed to really like it. See mototrend above for more accurate 0-60 in 7.1 seconds, and weight 3543 lbs, 224 lbs lighter than gen I.

I think this car is really targeting the early majority not the early adopters. The upcoming tesla model III, bmw 330 phev, and audi a3 etron phev also are going for this early majority. The bolt and upcoming gen II leaf (q2 2017) are targeting the early adioters. No one knows what the gen II prius phv will bring (end 2016?), and of course you still have the quirky early adopter bmw i3, that who knows could grow a bigger gas tank in a refresh if bmw finds that drivers want to use it and they have enough zev credits (the tank being 1.8 gallons allows bmw to get 3zev credits when sold in california). Wired is just warning people that like you say the car may just stay in an adopter niche even though it is much better than the first gen volt, which itself has very satisfied customers. That may mean with all the competition sales will only be in the 20K-30k-/year range, instead of much higher numbers. I tend to agree the price and back seat along with the poor dealer ability to explain what a phev is will keep sales down. The wired review is the most negative I've seen on the new volt, gen I had lots of negative reviews, but also a bunch of awards.

Put the voltec power train into a more expensive looking body, add a sports mode where the driver can use batteries and gas engine and get down to 6 sec, and it might break out. Bmw has its own i store here to just sell plug-ins. I think the biggest hurdle for the gen II volt is that gm network of dealers.

#11 austingreen, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    Trollbait likes this.
  12. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    austingreen likes this.