1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wireless and CarPlay woes

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by PaulDM, Jun 11, 2022.

1. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    New Prius 2022 ok…
    Can’t activate the wireless on my Toyota account. The only UK option for a data plan is Orange who ceased as a telco in the uk in 2019. No wonder you get a “unexpected error has occurred” when registering.
    So…
    I decided to look at the units admin page, which was surprisingly easy to access as it has a VERY guessable admin password. I discovered the unit was looking for a Vodafone connection. wtaf.
    Also. Discovered that Bluetooth is disabled. Now why is that ? The requirement for wireless CarPlay ( there are plenty of expensive aftermarket adapters that convert wired to wireless CarPlay) is a Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connection on the unit. It has this. Why oh why is wireless CarPlay not enabled?

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here in the states they sell Wireless Carplay adapters/dongles for about $100 US give or take. They supply their own BlueTooth for the setup process. Amazon is a good source.

3. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Yes same in uk. But why should I have to if the inbuilt unit is capable. There is no reason why this unit will not do exactly what a £100 add-in will. My main ache is they have fitted a wireless hotspot than cannot connect to the internet.

4. MalachyNG

MalachyNG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The Bluetooth and wifi in the car aren't related to carplay. It disables Bluetooth when you're connected to the usb for carplay so your phone isn't trying to connect to 2 different things and confusing the audio

5. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    D22356BA-9F7E-4147-9387-39C068C3B062.jpeg
    There is a separate unit for the Wi-Fi hotspot in the centre console. It has its own Bluetooth. This is not related to the head unit Bluetooth.

6. DavidK52

DavidK52 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Every time I start the car, I get the error "verifying password" followed by another error indicating that the connection has failed. I have to remove the device from my phone's device list, re-add it, and go through the entire setup process. It then works, but only until you turn off the car. Then I repeat the entire procedure.

7. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Have you removed duplicate items in Bluetooth devices and Wi-Fi preferred network?