1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Wireless charging rate triples with 90% efficiency on RAV4, PIP

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by fotomoto, Apr 4, 2016.

1. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    ORNL surges forward with 20-kilowatt wireless charging for vehicles | ORNL

For the demonstration, researchers integrated the single-converter system into an electric Toyota RAV4 equipped with an additional 10-kilowatt hour battery.

The researchers are already looking ahead to their next target of 50-kilowatt wireless charging, which would match the power levels of commercially available plug-in quick chargers. Providing the same speed with the convenience of wireless charging could increase consumer acceptance of electric vehicles and is considered a key enabler for hands-free, autonomous vehicles. Higher power levels are also essential for powering larger vehicles such as trucks and buses.

I also found this interesting: Toyota provided several vehicles for the research, including RAV4s, a Scion and a Plug-in Prius.

A Scion? o_O

bwilson4web likes this.
  2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The eQ or iQ EV.
    It was going to be offered in California, but was cancelled before that because Toyota was going to charge more than the iMiEV with only about 50 miles of range.

I think most of the onboard chargers plugins are equipped with are in the 95% to 96% range.

fotomoto likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what is Tesla's take on wireless charging?

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    In the real world of wireless charging and with the availability of "of the shelf equipment", their efficiency is about 85% transfer, based on the Chevrolet " VOLT" .
    The equipment is not really efficient and the market is very reduced. Their price is about $6K plus the installation on the same vehicle example. It maybe will require 12/14hs to recharge.
    Imagine a Tesla S, base equipment, will probably take over 24hs to recharge from a low point. :cautious:
    Meanwhile, you have access to a J1772 recharge handle with available electricity that will provide you the same results at much lower cost and shorter recharge time. I'm talking about a Level II equipment

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not bad at an airport or office park though.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    DOH! Completely forgot about that one. I should have remembered since a neighbor has an ICE version parked right down the street.

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you can get them to pay the extra cost over a wired charger. Then you need a wireless charger for each spot, whereas a wired one could reach two or more parking spaces.

I think Tesla is working on a robotic cord that plugs itself into the car.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that was my idea!:mad:

9. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I think Tesla is working on a robotic cord that plugs itself into the car.

I'm seriously working in similar concept and without costing to much.
    I will train my grandson to do the job for me :whistle:

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think you forgot to factor in the cost of Christmas, birthdays, and general spoiling.

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Think of it this way. With a tesla, you don't really need to charge it every day, and you get all your miles. It's going to sell to people that plug-in.

prius phv though, its got a much smaller battery that some don't want to take the time to charge. Some also don't like the astetics of charging cables. Say you have a spot with a brand new prius prime phev and it just adds your 22 electric miles everytime you park. That may make it a better option than a more expensive bev. Think 2025, not today.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dang it I want a small slow one to charge a PiP1...I am totally out of phase with the huge power and batteries desires

13. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just trained my 5 year old to it. She doesn't have quite the muscle to plug into the car yet but we're getting there.

90% efficiency is enough for me. Now they need to work on cost. At $6000, my hands free charging will be my daughter for the foreseeable future.

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For home charging, wireless is a nice option many are willing to pay for. A public business, or workplace on the other hand, I don't see them willing to pay extra for it, and there will still be an extra cost for it in 2025.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    charging a tesla via the onboard charger can easily require a seperate 100amp breaker (model S dual charger or model X 75amp single charger) using a run of #3 gauge wire.

A 50kW wireless setup would require over a 225amp breaker ... that's the entire load capability of our upgraded main service panel. Many homes main breaker can only handle 100amps. Good luck trying to set that level of wireless charging up at home. We're now talking pie in the sky theory - distant future, if ever, with that level of wireless charging. And if 50kW wireless xharging isn't wild enough - consider that superchargers can charge at 130kW.

#15 hill, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  16. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    They are working on a robotic arm to plug the cable into your car. When considered with the cost of electricity it should be a cheaper solution, but not as pretty as wireless.

There is the slower 3rd party solution.
    Tesla Model S will get wireless charging option in April

Wireless for tesla now is 7.2kw, while wired connections are 10 kw or 20 kw. Wireless is probably fast enough for most users, but is more expensive.

bisco likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks! what about a magnet type like on a mac laptop?

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    . . if my back of the napkin is decent (article says a 50 amp breaker is necessary), in order to power 7.2kW's charging, your wireless system has to deliver over 9kW's. That's a lot of wasted juice just to be able to not plug in.

#18 hill, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does that mean rechargeable highways are out of the question?

20. mrbigh

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The answer to your question is a lot more elaborate than a simple.yes or not.....?
    I do not believe that there is a defined or established standard for BEV / Plug-in Hybrid vehicles wireless charging; more likely that the equipment installed underneath of the vehicle from a manufacturer will not be as equally efficient over the charging pod of another manufacturer.
    It must be essential a full matching technologies and hardware for full effectiveness of the Wireless charging.