1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wireless Charging

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Go-Green-Pal, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Go-Green-Pal

Go-Green-Pal Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just recently purchased a 2018 prius three. It has Qi wireless charging. I have a Samsung S5 mobile phone. I am not sure whether they are compatible.

If not, I was told that I could purchase some sort of a magic cover for my S5, which would make it compatible. Does anyone know where I can buy it and/or how much it costs and whether it is worth it.

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe do a search on PriusChat as this has been discussed quite a bit. From memory, I think later Samsungs seem to work OK, but you have to enable it in settings on the phone.

There has been mention of it needing to be located centrally on the pad for it to work. QI is apparently not very powerful, not as quick as on your SAMSUNG wall charger.

I've got an older S2, which hasn't got wireless charging - I bought a "magic cover" for it - but it worked so poorly, I've thrown it out. Undoubtedly there might be better "magic covers", but I wasn't going to try again.

3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My advice is, having use it for over six months, it's not worth it. Your phone will get hot, charge rate is low and does little more than avoid per drain of the phone is switched on or using an app. Some apps will drain more than Qi charge can replace.

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Typically, phones with ceramic or glass backs tend to be compatible, if they have the circuitry.

As someone who does tech support for an Android handset manufacturer, I would recommend against trying this with a phone that has a removable battery, a plastic housing or a metal housing. If the phone is under warranty, the special case/Qi charger would void the warranty.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  6. sclevine

sclevine Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I tried a charging cover on my Android that didn't support Qi and it was terrible - slow charging and very hot. Also with the cover, the large phone didn't fit nicely into the tray so the charging sometimes just stopped.

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I changed the back on my S5 to make it work, I much prefer not plugging in to charge, just set it on the charger.
    Google S5 Qi, plugging in also makes it heat up btw;)

pilotgrrl and RCO like this.
  8. Natl Gildersleeve

Natl Gildersleeve New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a 2018 Prius Prime. I notice that the phone gets very hot on the wireless charger, much hotter than on my home "Fast Charge" chargers. I have been told that heat is the enemy of electronic devices, particularly batteries. Until I hear something else, I only use mine in an emergency.

jerrymildred, RCO and bisco like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good idea.

10. Drhyed

Drhyed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And heat kills your battery, not good for it at all. I used my Iphone on the wireless charger with waze running (nav app) and it was extremely hot after only 20 minutes. I will never do that again!

RCO and jerrymildred like this.