1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wireless FAST Chargers?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by cleanneon98, Sep 17, 2018.

1. cleanneon98

cleanneon98 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi guys, so I just pre-ordered a new gold iPhone. What i have in the prius now is a Scoche Magnetic mount with a metal plate on the back of my space gray iPhone. However, I don't really want to stick a black metal plate on the back of a shiny gold phone, so am looking for a different mount/charger solution. Currently the mount I have is sticky taped to the center console to the right of the shifter and is placed perfectly.

I am looking for a cradle style holder with a fast wireless charger built in. One concern of mine is being able to mount the device in a similar area, perhaps I will have to make my own mount to get it to be in the same area. Please post some photos of where/how you have your mounts attached, and if you've had particularly good luck with a specific wireless fast charger, id like to know/see that as well.

Thanks all!

2. sturgidson

sturgidson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Spent quite a long time looking for something similar when I picked up my iPhone X - we had exactly the same scenario as you: magnetic mount with a metal plate, hidden behind the phone in a case. For a while, there didn't seem to be great options. I think there are a few now.

This is the one that I have:

We now have them in two vehicles. Once you get the height of the phone mount properly set for the phone itself, it works great, though hiding the cable can be a chore. The primary problem I've had is that neither of the mounting options - suction or vent clip - are totally satisfactory. They're both "cheap." We use the air vent option, and the clamp kept slipping. I solved this with two-sided mounting tape, and so far, it's been terrific.

3. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    The micro USB charging port on my Samsung S6 stopped working and I bought the Scoche Mobile mount. The mount comes with a suction cup mount with a flexible shaft. I already have a mount attached to the upper left corner of the upper glove box for a Wilson Cell booster. I only use the Wilson when on trips so the mount is rarely used. The business end of the Scoche charger attaches the same way as the wilson except for the shaft. Nice and tight to the dash.
    I was originally afraid that the wireless charging would not keep up as I have an Android head unit and usually have at least 2 apps always running and sometimes more. It does so well I have decided not to repair the phones USB port for now.