1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wireless interference with Smart Key and OBD II adapter...

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Squirt, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Squirt

Squirt Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Has anyone else had an issue with their cell phone causing interference issues with the Smart Key? I (like most men, I suspect) keep my keys and cell phone in my front pants pockets. Now, I usually keep the keys on one side and phone on the other, to avoid scratching my phone, but occasionally I put them on the same side. In these instances, I have found that my Smart Key system works very poorly, if at all, and I believe it is related to the proximity to my cell phone. The doors won’t unlock automatically, and the vehicle won’t start… basically acting like I don’t have the key. If I simply move my phone to the other pocket, everything works perfectly.

Now that I think of it, I’ve also had issues with my primary cell phone’s Bluetooth connection interfering with a Bluetooth connection between my OBD II dongle and second phone running Torque. For some reason, if I establish the OBD II/Torque connection before turning on the Bluetooth/Entune connection on the other phone, it works fine, but if I get into the car with Bluetooth active on my primary phone, it immediately connects to Entune, and the secondary phone keeps connecting and disconnecting without transferring any data.

In my opinion, these are very separate issues (or my primary phone is just a wireless bully), but I’m curious to know whether others have experienced anything like this, and whether there’s a permanent solution.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have had trouble in the past, now i keep them separate.

3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've had this happen as well, but it may simply be the body of the phone itself, and not necessarily radio interference.

ftl likes this.
  4. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Easy to check - put the phone in airplane mode, which turns off all the radios. If the problem still occurs, it's just the body of the phone blocking the transmitter in the key fob.

#4 ftl, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014